Installing OEM power windows

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

RossL

Installing OEM power windows

Post by RossL »

I bought original used regulators, motors, switches and wiring. I'm going to bench test everything and repack the motors gears with new grease

Besides the rollers for the window tracks, what other items should I have on hand that might be worn?
ward 57

Re: Installing OEM power windows

Post by ward 57 »

The springs. I rebuilt both power windows and both springs were broken. Even if the originals are there, replace them anyway. They zip up and down now. You don't want to do the job twice. PM me if you need any specific help. I've done it all.
VTCI # 13223
RossL

Post by RossL »

ward 57 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:50 pm The springs. I rebuilt both power windows and both springs were broken. Even if the originals are there, replace them anyway. They zip up and down now. You don't want to do the job twice. PM me if you need any specific help. I've done it all.
Where are the springs located? I'm just getting started, removing the existing non power hardware
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

On the back of the regulator mechanism. They are circular and help raise the window. They are also on the manual window regulator but slightly different. You have to have the scissors almost at the end of the up position to be able to install them. They are very powerful. When ordering the rollers make sure you order the all metal ones. I replaced all mine as some of the originals were buggered up.
https://www.classictbird.com/Spring-Pow ... fo/23318P/
VTCI # 13223
RossL

Post by RossL »

ward 57 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:28 pm On the back of the regulator mechanism. They are circular and help raise the window. They are also on the manual window regulator but slightly different. You have to have the scissors almost at the end of the up position to be able to install them. They are very powerful. When ordering the rollers make sure you order the all metal ones. I replaced all mine as some of the originals were buggered up.
https://www.classictbird.com/Spring-Pow ... fo/23318P/

How do you remove and install the spring? Do you just have to manipulate the motor to move the scissor/large gear to release and create tension on the spring?
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Exactly. Turn the motor to run the scissors up to the end of the travel but keep the gears engaged. At least I did. just to make sure everything stayed intact. That is the point of the least tension and some good pliers should enable you the get the hook over the post. Once installed, roll it all the way down to install the mechanism in the door.
VTCI # 13223
RossL

Post by RossL »

What do you think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liar_rE9YMM

You can see his technique to load the spring @ 7:15
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

That is a solution but I was able to install the spring without that much disassembly. Also I did not touch the motors as they were working fine. I ran it up to the point the gears were still engaged as I didn't have a power source on my work bench but was able to install the spring with a pair of needle nose Vice Grips while holding it in a vice for stability & leverage.
VTCI # 13223
RossL

Post by RossL »

I am using the 1956 wiring version of the power windows. It calls for two 15 amp circuit breakers one for each motor and one 30 amp breaker and one relay for the primary power to the window switches. Are the two 15 amp circuit breakers mounted inside the door(s) or ???? The relay and 30 amp breaker I plan to mount under the dash.

I plan to run the wires from the drivers switch to the passenger switch under the dash, is that how Ford did it?