correct color for the engine compartment

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Larry Jones

correct color for the engine compartment

Post by Larry Jones »

Iam getting a rebuilt short block from the thunderbird ranch. My mechanic just called me that he is detailing the engine bay for me. He is suggesting a black for the inside of the fender walls. According to John Draxler web site it should be the same color as the exterior of the car. Any suggestions on this. The exterior of the car is called a cardinal red. If I do go with a black should it be a flat black or a glossey black. This is a 62 t-bird convertible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Larry
See a great deal on a T-Bird let me know!!

Larry
nbaum

color

Post by nbaum »

Fender walls are suppose to be body color.
2014 Corvette convertible
1993 Cadillac Allante factory hardtop Pearl Red
2016 Lexus RX350
1992 Cadillac Allante Bright red
1930 Ford model A Cabriolet
2005 Chevrolet SSR
60fore

Post by 60fore »

John Draxler is right Larry - the inner fenders are body color. Don't let your mechanic paint them black; with the engine out it's a perfect time to do a little research and get things right.

The answers to nearly all the questions you've asked so far are contained in a few manuals which every T-Bird owner should have; in your case they are:

- The 61-63 Official Factory Specifications manual, available from VTCI
- The Osborn Electrical and Body Assembly manuals (from any T-Bird parts vendor).
- The '62 Thunderbird shop manual.

We're not saying we MIND helping you out, we're just saying.....
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

Hi Larry,

The correct color should be the same as the body color but that doesn't mean that you have to do it that way. In my opinion, I think it would look really nice if you did the engine bay a semi flat black and the body a cardinal red. I think it would really show off the engine when you open the hood. Something like this:

John
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

For cryin' out loud, Larry, DON'T let you mechanic "detail" your engine bay! The next thing he'll want to do is paint your fresh '62 block "Ford Blue"! I've seen that done enough times that it makes me sick.

PLEASE, take Gary's advice, get the manuals, do a little research, and make sure it's done right. If you don't, you'll regret it for a long time to come.

Your paint, BTW, should be Rangoon Red. I've never heard of "Cardinal Red" on a Bulletbird.

My Thunderbird website: www.tbirdgarage.com
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Jim,
A. don't take John (novanutcase) so seriously. About anything. Ever. No, really. ;-)
B. "cardinal" is just a reference for a bright red colour, like "Ferrari red", not a listing for a Ford hue. :cool:
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Jim,
A. don't take John (novanutcase) so seriously. About anything. Ever. No, really. Wink
B. "cardinal" is just a reference for a bright red colour, like "Ferrari red", not a listing for a Ford hue.
Gosh Daniel, I wasn't referring to John, at all - I should have made that more clear. His work is superb, and I think on a truly custom Bird his idea would, and does, look great. My intended target was uninformed hacks, like Larry's engine installer, who take a nice car which is meant to be fairly original and do a "spray paint restoration", covering everything they can reach with black Krylon. I've seen that enough times.:tongue6: :tongue6: :tongue6:

Larry PM'd me about cardinal red - apparently this is a non-Ford color he has painted his car which he believes has more "pop" than Rangoon Red. I'll be the first to admit that Rangoon Red takes some getting used to, but if I just remember to look at it in a Sixties context, it looks much more attractive.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
46Woodie

Re: correct color for the engine compartment

Post by 46Woodie »

Wulf your so full of yourself!!just answer the guys question
Ducksface

Post by Ducksface »

That's a great response to a 14 year old thread. :drinking:
There's a modified section in this forum for people who won't do it correctly.

But, your valuable response above is in the
Be correct or be gone
Section.
Last edited by Ducksface on Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... hp?t=19646
my build/rebuild/era-correct silly accessories/whine thread.
Member :duckie: :duckie: :duckie: #13109
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

46Woodie wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:24 am Wulf your so full of yourself!!just answer the guys question
Well, thank you.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
46Woodie

Post by 46Woodie »

Duckface the name your mother gave you or short for birdbrain. I see your obnoxious replys all over this site. If someone has a question just give a thoughtful,respectful answer. That being said ,would love to join VTCI. Been a member of every Ford club in the country at one time or another for 50+ years doing high point factory correct restos. Theres always a couple smart as...es or know it alls but overall theyre a great place to teach or learn facts about this great hobby.
That being said,hope to join soon and purchase Original Factory Specs manual 61-63 Tbirds.
Is this book 15 pages or 150 pages. Can someone give me more info about this manual and its availability. Any used ones I could purchase??
Also, best quality interiors can be purchased from where?
Thank you
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

46Woodie wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:23 pm ...hope to join soon and purchase Original Factory Specs manual 61-63 Tbirds.
Is this book 15 pages or 150 pages. Can someone give me more info about this manual and its availability. Any used ones I could purchase??
Also, best quality interiors can be purchased from where?
Thank you
VTCI's 1961-63 Original Factory Specifications Manual is 150+ pages long (the engine written specification section alone is about 15 pages before it goes into details) and divided into sections for Interior, Exterior, Engine, Trunk Undercarriage, Accessories and Identification, with a text section at the beginning of most sections and detail pages following with charts, parts lists and photos/diagrams. It can be ordered by dues-paying members (that's an IRS-related requirement for us to keep our 501c3 non-profit status by only selling to dues-paying members, folks) through VTCI's Country Store here:
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... _store.htm

We offer a black-and-white printing (for those who are budget-minded) and a color version of it. I highly recommend the color version if you really want to see what things look like. Just be aware that we're currently in a revision cycle and are working towards updating the 1961-1963 OFS with a lot more pages and detail that will be added to it as the year progresses.

As for interiors, i.e. seat covers, there are sets out there with thinner-gauge vinyls than original which have a corresponding price tag to match compared to NOS/OEM vinyls offered by others. I suggest asking for samples of vinyl from the vendors whom support VTCI and this website/Forum which specialize in 1958-66 T-birds to gauge their quality. I will say that the go-to source we used to enjoy for OEM-vinyl covers from the Detroit area retired and sold his inventory to SMS Fabrics in Portland, Oregon several years ago: SMS can sew up new sets, but be aware that the price reflects the materials they have, and that their reputation for response/order fulfillment times and customer relations are worth looking into very closely as there is usually a very long time that elapses between order and delivery, especially for specialty or one-off materials.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
46Woodie

Post by 46Woodie »

Thank you!! Ive gone to VTCI site for membership but dont understand process. $35 for membership but then drop down asks for months interested, Jan-Feb or Mar April etc..
Is this membership for only 2 months or am I looking in wrong area? I thought $35 a year was reasonable,thats amount Woodie Club collects. Please explain
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

To clear the misunderstanding the annual subscription rate is $40.00 a year. Our magazine The Thunderbird Scoop is published bimonthly which is 6 times a year.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

It needs to be known that
1) Jim Wulf is probly one of the most respected 61/63 go to guy on Birds, and I have never seen him miss lead but direct members.
2) the VTCI membership dues are prorated, per issue. A full year is $40.00 for six SCOOPs, then steps down as the year progresses. If you joined to day, and 2 issues have been sent, then I believe the dues would be the March/April at $35.00 cost. (you get the bonus of the March/April issue now)
{I can be corrected, but that is my slant}
3) do take note that you get the access to the on line FORUM as a paying member, to help you get the answers you need.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible