Colonial White with Peacock hard top

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Kozzz

Colonial White with Peacock hard top

Post by Kozzz »

I recently purchased my 1956 Thunderbird and have been slowly bringing it to proper driving condition. Don't get me wrong the car is immaculate but it sat in temperature controlled storage with all the proper preventive techniques for over 20 years. I have been driving it around the neighborhood and I am getting close to declaring her road worthy. In my research I have not found another colonial white / Peacock interior - with a peacock colored hard top. Personally I love this combination but am wondering, was this color combination available from the factory?
IMG_6988.jpeg
Last edited by Kozzz on Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkR

Re: Imperial White with Peacock hard top

Post by MarkR »

There was not a color actually called Imperial White. Peacock, yes. The white for 56 was called Colonial White. Could you post a photo of your data plate? You also should be able to get a copy of the original invoice from CTCI.
That is a great color combo however.
Last edited by MarkR on Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

It was actually Colonial white in '56. Peacock was a factory color. A data plate decoder would tell you if it was ordered that way. CTCI has all the factory invoices from '56 so joining and ordering it would be a good idea. I'm surprised the former owner did not do that.
There are charts out there that have the proportions of what colors were ordered but not in specific combinations. It's definitely an unusual combination but I'm sure it works well. Congratulations.
I had a 31' wood twin engine cruiser for over 20ys and my T-Bird was neglected as the boat took so much attention. After I sold the boat and retired I turned my attention back to my car. It took me 3 yrs to get it back to road worthy as I only have a few months of driving / tinkering weather here.
Fuel pump went first. order parts, R&R it and weeks to have it rebuilt. Then the carb sprung a leak. Rinse & repeat. Then ignition issues. Took most of the next year to replace everything one thing at a time & test drive after each step except the distributor. Turned out it was a failing intermittent Coil resistor. Then the M/C which was pumping junk into the booster. Rise & repeat. Then the brake booster. Rinse & repeat. Then the brake lines ( had a shop replace the supplied hoses, glad I did as the connections were almost unserviceable) Sat for a month or more for them to get to it. EVERYTHING now works! Even the clock.
You are blessed to have a car that hasn't been messed with by a shade tree mechanic and preserved properly. A solid base to tinker with and drive. =D>
VTCI # 13223
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I have an original Ford Dealers book here's what I found in the Color Selections section for 1956. In the Thunderbird section color sample chart # 33 list a combo Colonial White with Peacock Blue.
In the 1956 Upholstery Thunderbird section Trim 703 Peacock Blue with Vinyl Bolster with White Vinyl.
In the back of the 1956 Color and Upholstery Book the two tone exterior selections listed
Color A Body color { Colonial White } Color B Hard Top {Peacock Blue } Color combo 33 inverted
Looking at the Thunderbird Brochure of 1956. The hard top comes in colors that contrast with the body color, Also available in matching color on special order at no extra cost.
The Data plate should have These numbers on it
Conclusion is the color on the car is the real deal according to the FORD Color and Upholstery Selection Book Ford Dealership.
This is a GREAT find , Congrats !
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I must agree. A very rare but pleasing color combination. The sales brochures always show a classic suburban woman with the car. This was Fords solution to let the guy buy a sports car that his woman could and would want to drive. I wonder if it was a special order.
VTCI # 13223
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Kozzz wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:12 pm I recently purchased my 1956 Thunderbird and have been slowly bringing it to proper driving condition. Don't get me wrong the car is immaculate but it sat in temperature controlled storage with all the proper preventive techniques for over 20 years. I have been driving it around the neighborhood and I am getting close to declaring her road worthy. In my research I have not found another imperial white / Peacock interior - with a peacock colored hard top. Personally I love this combination but am wondering, was this color combination available from the factory?IMG_6988.jpeg
YES ! This color combo existed.
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

A number of years ago at Hershey I saw a 56 that had a Colonial White body with a Fiesta Red top and red and white interior. If I remember correctly the other hardtop colors that would match the corresponding interior would be Raven Black, Thunderbird Green, and Buckskin Tan.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
fijidad

Post by fijidad »

Beautiful color combination.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

1957Birdman wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:44 pm A number of years ago at Hershey I saw a 56 that had a Colonial White body with a Fiesta Red top and red and white interior. If I remember correctly the other hardtop colors that would match the corresponding interior would be Raven Black, Thunderbird Green, and Buckskin Tan.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
Your are correct Lew according to the 1956 Ford Color and Upholstery book. that color combo was available too.
VTCI Member # 12309
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

ICON 1956 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:54 am
1957Birdman wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:44 pm A number of years ago at Hershey I saw a 56 that had a Colonial White body with a Fiesta Red top and red and white interior. If I remember correctly the other hardtop colors that would match the corresponding interior would be Raven Black, Thunderbird Green, and Buckskin Tan.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
Your are correct Lew according to the 1956 Ford Color and Upholstery book. that color combo was available.
VTCI Member # 12309
Kozzz

Post by Kozzz »

Thank you all for the feedback, and the correction on the Colonial White.... I am a dork.

Here is the VIN plate. I will look into getting the original invoice as well.

Here is the VIN plate for your enjoyment.
IMG_5424.jpeg
ward 57

Re: Colonial White with Peacock hard top

Post by ward 57 »

Yup, Factory correct. You have a real gem on your hands. A probably really rare combination and classy in the colors of the time but still timeless. Pat yourself on the back and enjoy!
VTCI # 13223
fijidad

Post by fijidad »

Kozzz wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:12 pm I recently purchased my 1956 Thunderbird and have been slowly bringing it to proper driving condition. Don't get me wrong the car is immaculate but it sat in temperature controlled storage with all the proper preventive techniques for over 20 years. I have been driving it around the neighborhood and I am getting close to declaring her road worthy. In my research I have not found another colonial white / Peacock interior - with a peacock colored hard top. Personally I love this combination but am wondering, was this color combination available from the factory?IMG_6988.jpeg
Mine is the opposite combination. I'll try to get a picture, but the body is Peacock and the top Colonial white. Still beautiful but love yours.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I must agree. The color combination is timeless. I see a resurgence of appreciation of the '50s in architecture and color schemes and the simple elegance of the era also. Frank LLoyd Wright architecture is renowned. But we can drive the history which makes it even better.
VTCI # 13223
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

David Tulowitzky keeps a registry of 55-57 T birds that will allow you to estimate (by doing a little math) the approximate number of 56's made with this color combination. He would appreciate it if you would send him your data plate information which he may, or may not, have in his registry. I got the info from David on a "born as" white/green top/green interior 56 I own and with a little math could determine that there were about (7) 56's made in this body/top color combo. I suspect your combination would be just as rare!

David Tulowitzky
email: tulobird@aol.com