62 tail light wiring mystery

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Rickazz

62 tail light wiring mystery

Post by Rickazz »

I have the rear bumper off my 62 and am rebuilding all the lighting and wiring. It was a basket case of splices.

I have purchased new tail light sockets that come with the rubber plug to attach to the bumper bracket. One questions though, the old wire that went thru the bumper bracket (also has a rubber plug) has a black jacket that contains the two wires that go to the tail lamps. There is a ford # (C2SB-13407-E) on this wire so I’m pretty sure it was legit. It was spliced to the old tail light sockets.

My question is, I don’t have the new version of this wire. It didn’t come with the new tail light sockets (which are all 2-wire but not jacketed). The new socket wires might be long enough to make it into the trunk but I’m not sure. I don’t see this wire on any of the usual suppliers websites or catalogs.

Anyone here ever run into this. The assembly manuals show wires but not in enough specific detail to cover this.

Thx, Rick
Attachments
Old wire remnant but passing thru bumper bracket
Old wire remnant but passing thru bumper bracket
Part of same old harness remnant in above pic
Part of same old harness remnant in above pic
Rickazz

Re: 62 tail light wiring mystery

Post by Rickazz »

MYSTERY SOLVED!!

The new rear tail light sockets are actually from 61. The part number stamped on the wire is C1SB-13407A. The number on the old one that was on the car was C2SB-13407E. (C1 = 1961. C2 = 1962)

So it appears that the parts suppliers are only selling the 61 sockets figuring they will do the job on 62 & 63. I wish this was info was in the notes on their website. Would’ve saved me some time digging into this. I guess I’ll use the 61’s. The good thing is it’ll be hard to see.
claybreaker 144

Post by claybreaker 144 »

Do yourself a favor and solder a ground wire to the outside of the new sockets and run the wire to a good ground. I've done that to every new or old sockets on the rear and front turn signals on both my projects. No ground issues with the lights.
66 Elcamino
62 F100 Uni CVS
62 Tbird Hardtop M Code under restoration
55 Stude Next up
61 Tbird Convt Project
Rickazz

Post by Rickazz »

Thx!
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Rickazz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:01 pm I have the rear bumper off my 62 and am rebuilding all the lighting and wiring. It was a basket case of splices.

I have purchased new tail light sockets that come with the rubber plug to attach to the bumper bracket. One questions though, the old wire that went thru the bumper bracket (also has a rubber plug) has a black jacket that contains the two wires that go to the tail lamps. There is a ford # (C2SB-13407-E) on this wire so I’m pretty sure it was legit. It was spliced to the old tail light sockets.

My question is, I don’t have the new version of this wire. It didn’t come with the new tail light sockets (which are all 2-wire but not jacketed). The new socket wires might be long enough to make it into the trunk but I’m not sure. I don’t see this wire on any of the usual suppliers websites or catalogs.

Anyone here ever run into this. The assembly manuals show wires but not in enough specific detail to cover this.

Thx, Rick
Here's a few photos that may help as you reassemble your wiring. These are from a '63, which I think is substantially the same as a '62.
All of the wires, fasteners, and clips are installed as they would have been assembled at the factory.
P1020794.jpeg
P1020788.jpeg
P1020784.jpeg
P1020778.jpeg
P1020775.jpeg
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Rickazz

Post by Rickazz »

Great pics! Thx!
bigbrownpilot

Post by bigbrownpilot »

claybreaker 144 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:28 pm Do yourself a favor and solder a ground wire to the outside of the new sockets and run the wire to a good ground. I've done that to every new or old sockets on the rear and front turn signals on both my projects. No ground issues with the lights.
All my lights have individual ground wires from the socket to the body. Even my back-up lights. One less problem to troubleshoot!

Dave