Replacing hard brake line

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

RossL

Replacing hard brake line

Post by RossL »

I have to replace the brake line that feeds the rear brakes. It’s located on the drivers side frame and goes to the hose (center of the cross member in front of gas tank) that supplies the left and right rear brakes

It looks like it’s not going to be an easy job. Does anyone have any tips to feed the line in between the body and frame?

Is there a way to lift the left rear of the body? Is this necessary?
55Greg&Amy

Re: Replacing hard brake line

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

Very difficult without removing the body but I did it on mine. I had to remove the body mount hardware on that side then I unbent the line enough to fanagle it through. I then had to rebend it to get the fittings to line up. I was using stainless lines also which are much stiffer to work with. Would have been much easier with a helper.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

It takes two for sure. If your not experience in bending brake lines this can be exhausting.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

It sounds like it might be easier to leave the old line in place and put the new line in as closely and conveniently as possible to the old line. I'll need to replace mine as well, but I might leave it to professionals.

When Ford designed and built these cars, I don't think it was with the expectation that they would be around for what will soon be 70 years.
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

I agree with 55blacktie. Unless you are committed to originality I sure would consider an alternative routing.

The other idea to consider is that perhaps any repair would be easier if you used shorter sections of premade brake line tubing and unions.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

55blacktie wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:03 pm It sounds like it might be easier to leave the old line in place and put the new line in as closely and conveniently as possible to the old line. I'll need to replace mine as well, but I might leave it to professionals.

When Ford designed and built these cars, I don't think it was with the expectation that they would be around for what will soon be 70 years.

I would also consider re-routing a new line or going with sections. That last 90 degree 3” drop down to the rear axle adds to the problem of getting the line into position.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Although it's been a number of years, Gil Baumgartner told me that the pre-bent lines sold by the Tbird suppliers have their issues as well, as far as the bends are concerned. That might apply to fuel lines as well. Are the fuel lines any easier to install?
RossL

Post by RossL »

55Greg&Amy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:47 am Very difficult without removing the body but I did it on mine. I had to remove the body mount hardware on that side then I unbent the line enough to fanagle it through. I then had to rebend it to get the fittings to line up. I was using stainless lines also which are much stiffer to work with. Would have been much easier with a helper.
What body mounting did you remove?
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

CASCO, and I assume others, have a two piece line that makes the job much easier. When I first got my car, I had to replace the line in the back. I ended up cutting the line re-flaring the ends and used a union to connect once I had everything in place.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

When I replaced my brake lines I unscrewed at least one of the body bolts (the more I think about it I probably removed two or three) and removed the shims between the frame and body. After that I was able to get the brake line over the axle. Just be sure to then put the shims back the way that you found them. I think doing the gas line is much more difficult and I did not do that. I used the steel brake lines, not stainless.

Of course the best time to do this job is if you are doing a body off the frame restoration.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
RossL

Post by RossL »

I was able to replace the brake line last night. This is how I did it.

1) Took pictures so I could remember the route of the line I was replacing
2) Disconnected the fuel line to allow this line to give when removing and replacing the brake line (I removed the clip that holds the fuel line to the frame)
3) Removed the shock to give me a little more room to maneuver
4) Bent the existing line to allow me to remove the line (at the point where it make a sharp bend at the main frame)
5) As I was removing the old line I took more pictures to ensure I would install the new line the exact same route as the original
6) I smeared grease on both lines and on the frame wherever the line would contact
7) Bent the new line in the same place I bent the original one and inserted it enuring I took the same route as when I removed the original
8) Once the new line was in place, I bent the line back as best I could, but since it was wedged between the frame I couldn't get it back 100%

It took 2 or 3 attempts in fishing it through but compared to the fuel line this went in much easier. I did the fuel line last week and forcing it though the chassis is probably when I nicked the brake line. I believe if I had disconnected the brake line it would have made replacing the fuel line easier, because there is limited real estate between the frame and body.

I didn't remove and body mounts. I believe the pictures helped a lot because of the bends and obstructions, I was able to follow the same route as the removal.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

A lot of thought and planning before you attempted the job. Well done.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Ross, was your car on a lift while you replaced the brake and fuel lines? How long did it take to replace them?
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Very good! Thanks for sharing your approach and success.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
RossL

Post by RossL »

55blacktie wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:25 pm Ross, was your car on a lift while you replaced the brake and fuel lines? How long did it take to replace them?
It was on one jack stand on the frame just behind drivers door.

I replaced both fuel lines from pump to tank. It took a good part of a day. A lot of trial and error. If I had pictures of the old line it would have helped. I tried a couple of different approaches....... If I used grease and loosened the brake line I think it would have been easier. I really had to force the fuel line past the brake line where they go through the perch from frame to the body, I think this is how I damaged the brake line.

The brake line took about 2/3 hours.