What exactly sets them apart?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

LeonLawson

What exactly sets them apart?

Post by LeonLawson »

Since acquiring my Thunderbird last fall, I've learned about the 'Thunderbird Clubs,' including both Vintage Thunderbird Club International (VTCI) and the Classic Thunderbird Club International (CTCI). What exactly sets them apart?
55Greg&Amy

Re: What exactly sets them apart?

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

The CTCI is for predominantly 55-57.
The VTCI covers ALL years of Thunderbirds
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
posmanski

Post by posmanski »

The CCTI recently voted to include the '02-'05 retro 2 seater Birds.
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Yes, within the last year CTCI expanded their scope to include all 2 seat Thunderbirds. I belong to both organizations.

I like CTCI because it is focused on the 2 seat cars. On the other hand I like the larger scope of VTCI because there are always issues and problems that are not unique to the 2 seater cars. You have access to more people in VTCI. I do monitor and respond as appropriate to other groups within the VTCI forum.

This Forum is the other big difference to me. While CTCI does have a Google based communication tool for questions, it is not near as well structured and subscribed to as this forum. Your VTCI dues support this forum!

I also consider the cost of membership in both groups as a minimal investment. The time and effort it saves me more than returns that cost. Plus I am a whole lot less likely to make mistakes or damage things.

I have to chuckle at those who claim the annual cost is too high. I find it interesting that the $100 a year you spend to belong to and support both groups is too much. That same person paid thousands for a car and will not hesitate to spend $100 for an NOS door handle!
Rusty
VTCI 13079
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

There has been some division between CTCI International and some local chapters; one of the causes of which is the allowance of later Birds into the club. Some local chapters want to restrict membership to 55-57 cars. My chapter no longer requires membership to CTCI International to become a local member.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Both clubs are struggling to retain members and recruit new ones. I think the dues are more than reasonable and Rusty, said it well. If you can't afford the dues, how in the heck can you afford the car? Just the insurance is multiples of the dues and just one full tank of gas is also much more expensive.
VTCI # 13223
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I definitely agree with the above comments and will continue to remain neutral in any recommendations as I am/was a member in both for MANY years! I'm a life member in one local club, and a current member in another. I will suggest, join both. See what fits YOU best. MORE IMPORTANTLY, JOIN A LOCAL Thunderbird Club in your area!!!! It's the local clubs that provide the camaraderie, and the local sources for help and information, support and get togethers. Both have a lot to offer, but it is up to you to try them on and see what fits.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Well Said ! Agreed . Both are important to keep your Bird running. With inflation today. Paying the dues is a small price to pay enjoying your car.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

And it's a hobby that keeps us close to home. However my wife calls my car my mistress with a smile on her face. \:D/
VTCI # 13223
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I heartily agree with Joe. especially on the local clubs.

uote="Joe Johnston" post_id=136800 time=1706563974 user_id=2243]
I definitely agree with the above comments and will continue to remain neutral in any recommendations as I am/was a member in both for MANY years! I'm a life member in one local club, and a current member in another. I will suggest, join both. See what fits YOU best. MORE IMPORTANTLY, JOIN A LOCAL Thunderbird Club in your area!!!! It's the local clubs that provide the camaraderie, and the local sources for help and information, support and get togethers. Both have a lot to offer, but it is up to you to try them on and see what fits.
[/quote]
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

For me personally, I have been a member of CTCI since 1995 and also a member of the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA). Based on my experience I would definitely recommend CTCI as the first port-of-call for the new early T-Bird owner. It is the oldest club (established 1962) and has many resources for restoring your car. Having said that, it does not have a forum, which is one of the reasons I participate here. I like other year T-Birds, but don't think I will be buying one anytime soon. There is also another club, the International Thunderbird Club which I know very little about.
I belong to AACA because I like cars in general and they cover the full range of cars both domestic and foreign.
As always, you pay your money and take your chances.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

CTCI is the keeper of a great deal of the documentation. I also love any 50's up, had a '66 T-Bird landau and was the best road car. Had to sell it as the family grew but always kept my '57 through thick & thin.
VTCI # 13223