OEM or Concours Heater Hoses

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gnorwood2

Re: OEM or Concours Heater Hoses

Post by gnorwood2 »

Sorry, meant Ford Grabber Blue 2230.
gnorwood2

Post by gnorwood2 »

Meant PPG Ford Grabber Blue 2230.
Alan H. Tast

Air Cleaner-Valve Cover Paint Colors

Post by Alan H. Tast »

The pictures Scott posted are of an unrestored air cleaner and valve covers. I think Grabber Blue is too bright to be a match for Ford Corporate Blue used in 1966-1967.

Try looking at these threads re: valve covers/air cleaners - I've already commented on these in the other post you had on accessory component colors:

https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... lor#p30569

https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... 32&t=10463

If there is a more-current PPG number that people should be using, we'll need it to update the above posts.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
gnorwood2

Post by gnorwood2 »

Hi Alan T and Scott6T6. Sorry if I am messing up the string here, but in my research I learned and also by looking at my engine on the 66 Thunderbird, 428, that my motor was painted in Old Ford Blue, which I believe Alan T, called EN or EP-2075 (Reconditioning Engine Blue). When I researched EP-2075, two spray paint brands came, up. One was Duplicolor DE 1621 and the other one was VHT SP153. Now, as a further researched EP-2075, I saw a EP-2075 C and EP-2075A. I believe the EP-2075A is it for the Thunderbird. Here's the link: https://cgfordparts.com/engine-spray-pa ... 075-a.html. Kind of confusing, in trying to ensure I have the right paint code and hoping the local PPG store can match it for me or purchasing one of the two spray paint brands that came up.
gnorwood2

Post by gnorwood2 »

Thank you Alan Tast for your post!! I hadn't seen you post, until I posted too.
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

In looking for a color match to the Ford Corporate Blue used on all Ford engines in 1966, you will quickly discover that there are all kinds of different hues of "Ford Blue" engine paint available out there!

First let me say there was no difference in the color blue used on the 390, and that used on 428 engines in 1966/'67. It was all the same paint. Both engines were built and painted at the Dearborn Engine Plant where most were manufactured, and some were built in Windsor. Having said that, over the years I have definitely noted on a number of original paint FE-engines in '66/'67 Fords and Thunderbirds where the paint used on the air cleaners was a notably darker blue than that found on the rest of the engine. I would surmise the air cleaners were most likely produced and painted at a separate facility and that could account for the paint color variances. All that is to say I'm sure different batches or lots of Ford Corporate Blue engine enamel in those days were clearly not all PRECISELY the same color - close, but definitely not identical. Keep that in mind too.

In my research into the Ford Corporate Blue engine paints, there are several paint manufacturers that are noted for their Ford Blue engine paints being very close to the 1966 factory color. Those would be Seymour EN-56, Duplicolor DE-1606, Plasticote #224 and Krylon Ford Dark Blue. All aerosol cans.

In the past I found the Krylon to be an exceptionally close match and it was definitely my brand of choice for '66 Ford Corporate Blue engine paint, but I could not find any several years ago when I needed to paint my water pump after having it re-built. At that point after reading several favorable reviews regarding the Seymore EN-56, I tried that and was quite pleased with the results. I found a number of sources for the Seymour paint on eBay several years ago. Here's a shot of my re-built water pump painted and installed on my engine today. I think you would agree there is really no discernable difference in the paint color on my water pump and the rest of the engine.

I strongly recommend you always spray a sample of the paint onto a test piece or spray out card and compare it to the original paint to see how accurate the color match is. You may end up trying several different brands before you come up with one you're satisfied with. If you're repainting the entire engine, an EXACT color match isn't necessarily required. A reasonably close match would be acceptable. Remember, that Ford Corporate Blue engine paint color did vary somewhat in '66 and beyond.

If you want to apply it with a spray gun (which is the best method) I would have the paint custom matched if your engine still has the factory paint on it and you can supply them with the air cleaner or a valve cover to work with. Your local PPG paint supply store should be able to do that although it will of course cost extra. Just depends on how close you want the new paint to match the factory paint!

Scott
Attachments
water pump paint.JPG
Seymour engine paint.JPG
Last edited by Scott6T6 on Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Here's a factory engine lift hook I repainted several years ago using the Seymour EN-56 Ford Blue. For comparison, I placed the re-painted hook on top of a used air cleaner lid I have from a '66 Thunderbird w/428 that retains its factory paint finish. As you can see, the color match may not be perfect, but it's quite close!

Scott
Attachments
paint color match 3 - engine.JPG
gnorwood2

Post by gnorwood2 »

Hi Scott6T6. I wanted to let you know that I was able to locate all of the worm gear clamps. I had contacted Murry Corporation and they were so very responsive and helpful, in which they referred me to a couple of their customers where I was able to buy the actual Murry Gold Seal clamps for the radiator hoses. Eureka!! And today, Marti Auto Works delivered both my 5/8 and 3/4 reproduction heater hoses. The packaged they're in has the stamp of a Ford licensed product and they look great!! Also, I was able to purchase the correct Ford Blue from our local PPG shop as well. I am going to get started this weekend and I wanted to say that I am very fortunate to be able to tap your knowledge. A big thank you to you and Alan for all the great help!! I will take pictures afterwards.
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Glad I could be of help! I applaud your efforts to keep it stock right down to the proper hose clamps.
gnorwood2

Post by gnorwood2 »

Hi Scott626 and Allan T. Hope you both had wonderful Christmas and New Years. Well, my journey continues in refreshing the engine compartment. I am a bit confused and need both our expertise. Upon review of the tag, on my intake manifold, I believe my 428 was built at the Ford Windsor plant "E", however, it gave a "1" in the top right corner, which I believe is U.S. built. I have included a picture of the tag on the intake manifold. My second item is the interpretation of Ford Corporate Blue. My understanding that the Windsor plant and the Cleveland plant had their own interpretations of what Ford Corporate Blue was. I need to include pictures of the intake manifold showing the old ford blue that was sprayed on the engine. I know it's not perfect, however, the engine block is the same color as well. Lastly, in my previous post to you both, I am unable to get PPG 13358 in a high heat enamel, so I need to go with a Dupli-Color, VHT, Seymour aerosol paint. Scott626, I know provided me a great illustration of your air cleaner color of your 428 and you believed the Seymour EN56 was a good match. Would this still hold true with the pictures provided of the intake and engine block? of Thank you both for your time. Just trying to do this right. Please let me know how I can send pictures to you both. Thank you. GaryImage
Attachments
428 Picture 5.jpg
428 Picture 4.jpg
428 Picture 1.jpg
428 Picture 1.jpg
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

I haven't visited the forums in quite a while and this morning out of the blue I decided to check them out and found your question.
I actually came down with some unknown variant of COVID on Dec 23rd and I'm still dealing with some congestion and coughing. Sadly, I missed all of our family Christmas festivities, but such is life in 2023/24. GOD have mercy...
Yes, in looking at the photo of your aluminum engine ID tag it would appear your 428 was built in the Windsor Engine Plant as evidenced by the E stamped into the tag in the second line of characters. Those FE engines built in the Dearborn Assembly Plant (where most of them were built) had no engine plant designation stamped into this tag. It was left blank. Alan Tast and I put together a comprehensive two - part article on engine ID tags several years back. Part two is found in the July/August 2019 edition of the Thunderbird Scoop (I didn't have time this morning to search through my collection of past issues of the Scoop for the first half of our article). The #1 in the upper right corner should designate the engineering change level.
I am not aware of any significant paint color difference in the Ford Corporate Blue engine paint used between those two plants. As far as I know, the colors were the same or very similar regardless of whether Dearborn or Windsor built the engine. As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I have noted on many occasions the Ford Blue paint on the air cleaner assembly in 1966 was darker than that on the rest of the engine. I'm betting this was due to the air cleaners being manufactured in a separate facility and painted there as well and the Ford Blue they used was simply slightly darker than that used to paint the engines in the Dearborn and Windsor engine plants.
I would recommend you try a can of the Seymore EN-56 Ford Corporate Blue and see if you feel if it's a close match to the factory paint on your engine and in particular, your air cleaner. In that photo I posted previously of an engine lift hook I had painted with the Seymore paint sitting on top of a 428 air cleaner lid with factory blue paint on it, the Seymore paint was a close color match. Keep in mind the air cleaners were often a darker shade of blue than the rest of the engine. My question to you is how close a color match is acceptable to you? I can guarantee you probably won't find an EXACT paint color match to that seen on your engine. Remember engine heat, oil, anti-freeze and other chemicals all tend to discolor the paint over time and we're talking over 59 years here based on the date - 5M - December 5,1965 - stamped into your engine ID tag. I promise you no judge on planet earth will even notice if the Seymore paint is slightly darker than the factory paint was on your engine when new. If you want to be extremely accurate, I'd suggest you paint the air cleaner using the Seymore EN-56 and then find a slightly lighter shade of Ford Blue for the rest of the engine. This would require purchasing several of the other brands of paint like the Duplicolor DE - 1606 and Plasticote #224 to find one that's a little lighter and you feel comes close to what you still see on your engine components.
I really wouldn't overthink this too much, you can drive yourself nuts striving for perfection - trust me I know! In the end I'm confident you're going to end up with a very nice looking engine in your '66 that will be very close to the way it looked when it rolled out the doors at Wixom.
If you insist on it being EXACT, then I suggest you start searching for an extreme low mile, unrestored '66 survivor that still has the factory paint on the engine and the rest of the car for that matter. A VERY TALL ORDER to be sure! If you find such a 'Bird, let me know 'cause I'd be interested in it! :smile:
Welcome to my world!!!

Scott <><
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

By the way Gary, you can "private message" me at the top of this page if should want to send me additional photos. I can also provide you with my email address in the private messages if you'd rather send something to my personal email account.

Scott <><