Electric Fuel Pump

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

RegM 56 T-Bird

Electric Fuel Pump

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

I am planning to install an electric fuel pump on my 56 Baby Bird which is has been completely restored as per original. I know just about any electric pump will work but I understand there are pump kits which are made specifically for the 55 - 57 TBirds. I would welcome any recommendations from folks who have installed these critters. Thanks in advance. Reg
Rusty57

Re: Electric Fuel Pump

Post by Rusty57 »

Search is your friend. Your statement that just about any electric fuel pump will work caught my attention.

A key question so whether this pump will replace the mechanical pump or to help start the car after sitting a long time or when vapor lock is an issue. If it is an auxiliary pump it must allow fuel to be pulled through it.

Another question is whether you have vacuum wipers. You say that you car is restored so I expect it does. If you remove the mechanical pump you will lose the vacuum assist from that pump.

A major point is to be sure that the pump does not over-pressure the carburetor. Pressure over 5 psi can cause problems.

Try to normal TBird suppliers.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I also wonder the need. These cars do not start immediately like the electronic fuel injection of newer cars. I have never had an issue with vapor lock running totally stock.
It's actually an advantage after it has been sitting to not fire up as soon as the key is turned. Let the oil pressure build until the light turns off before even thinking of setting the choke. That's why race cars have separate crank and ignition switches. Let the oil pressure build before ignition. Much less wear as start up low oil pressure is more destructive than running.
VTCI # 13223
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

paul2748 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:25 pm Here is a recommendation

https://www.ctci.org/vapor-lock-and-ele ... uel-pumps/
I have same location/type pass-thru pump arrangement. Even with the teapot filled, and after multiple accel. pump squirts, oil pressure always comes up just before the motor fires (well-tuned engine/oversized cables, though still 6V). Beats wearing out the starter. and you can still make it home if the mechanical pump fails.
RegM 56 T-Bird

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

The original pump works fine and I do still have the vacuum wipers which work pretty good unless I'm really goosing it. I am only installing an electric one to eliminate the need for 6 stomps on the gas pedal on a cold start. I understand there are electric pump kits purposely made for these baby birds and that is what I would like to get but having said that, I want one made in North America. I should have included this info in my original post.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Unless it's been sitting a long time or you don't have enough insulation between the manifold & carb letting the bowls boil dry on the last run, you should not have to pump the throttle pump so much. But the extra cranking protects the bearings & valve train is not a bad thing if your battery is up to it. These are not computer controlled fuel injected engines that start instantly and are designed for that. Old WWII airplane engines would spit, clank but once warmed up would propel the craft on to success.
Instant gratification on firing fast is not what these engines are designed for. Patience and understanding the engineering at the time is your friend.
Oh, as far as the wiper motor, many have suggested brake fluid introduced into the motor at the intake of the motor on the bottom to lube and soften the flaps but I shot some PB Blaster Max into that port with the straw and they have never worked better.
VTCI # 13223
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

RegM 56 T-Bird wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:46 pm The original pump works fine and I do still have the vacuum wipers which work pretty good unless I'm really goosing it. I am only installing an electric one to eliminate the need for 6 stomps on the gas pedal on a cold start. I understand there are electric pump kits purposely made for these baby birds and that is what I would like to get but having said that, I want one made in North America. I should have included this info in my original post.
Are you sure your choke is adjusted properly? If all is good with the carb you should be able to do a fairly quick next day cold start doing nothing more than one pedal push to set the choke if you live in moderate climate. If the temperate is 70 or below, give or take, the choke plate should close completely when the car is cold.

As to an electric fuel pump, I have mine on the frame just below and behind the driver's door. It on a switch and I only use it to prime the carb if the car has been sitting for several days. If it's been sitting a week I don't prime it or set the choke until I've cranked the engine so that the oil pressure light goes out, then I prime and set the choke and start it.

The electric pump I used was designed for carburetors and is low pressure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JS ... UTF8&psc=1