Replacing vacuum line to heater control hack

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

mammentorp

Replacing vacuum line to heater control hack

Post by mammentorp »

This is a small and probably obvious hack, but I'm posting in hopes that it saves at least one person an afternoon of painful interior work.

When I acquired my 63 Bird, the vacuum line from the manifold to the heater control head inside the car was broken/missing. My first instinct was to wade into the Electrical Assembly Manual and start taking things apart so I could access the routing for this vacuum line, which enters the firewall and then routes over the top of the blower assembly. But that quickly sized up to be a ridiculous amount of work for the job at hand. I decided to try and fish some mechanics wire through. I pushed about 4 feet in, figuring it had to pop out somewhere. Knowing the vacuum line is supposed to route over the top of the blower housing, I tried to push the wire up and toward the driver's side:
wire with arrow.jpg
After a few attempts, the wire did show up under the dash:
IMG_2717.jpg
And I was able to get it connected to the heater control head without removing anything from the interior. The heater control can be seen behind the dashboard with just minor contortions of your torso.

Again, kinda obvious stuff, but hoping it saves someone a little bit of work along the way!
Attachments
IMG_2719.jpg
IMG_2718.jpg
IMG_2721.jpg
IMG_2720.jpg
Matt Ammentorp
Hayward, Wisconsin
1963 Thunderbird Landau
Pcabot3

Re: Replacing vacuum line to heater control hack

Post by Pcabot3 »

Great tip. Thanks.