Parking brake light help please

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

aa010175

Parking brake light help please

Post by aa010175 »

Well I give up! I spent 3 hours trying to remove the parking brake warning light from the dash so I may replace the red liens. I search it here and tried to find it in the Shop Manual. I can push the housing (spring loaded) in about 1/4”. I tried to turn the housing left and right but it did not hit any spot that would release it. I then held the back of the housing and tried to turn it. Some good directions and photos would help. Thanks Dave
aa010175

Re: Parking brake light help please

Post by aa010175 »

I found this that Jim wrote,

Hold the bezel firmly at the front with one hand, reach behind with the other and grasp the rear metal bulb body, push in and turn it counterclockwise. You'll feel the bulb body release and it will be pushed back into your fingers by the retaining spring on the tubular bezel body. Then just remove the bezel and body from the front. To replace the lens, you'll need to gently twist and pull the tubular bezel body free from the chrome outer bezel. It's a snap-in, friction fit. Remove the old lens, insert the new one, then gently push the bezel body back into the chrome outer bezel. You'll feel it snap into place. If it's gotten too loose to stay in place, just reach in with a toothpick and apply three drops of two part epoxy to the ring where the two pieces join. The downside is that you'll never get it apart when you need to replace that lens again fifty years from now. ;-)

Here's a couple of pictures to clarify:
IMG_6168.jpg
IMG_6167.jpg
aa010175

Post by aa010175 »

Up date on my car. The restoration shop put in the light housing and parts backwards. They put the spring on the driverside of dash! And they installed the chrome housing behind the aluminum trim. What a mess!
aa010175

Post by aa010175 »

Here some photos
Attachments
IMG_4954.png
IMG_4955.png
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

That's a BIG PITA ! someone poked out the lens on my 61.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309