Lost Title VIN question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Jasonboes

Lost Title VIN question

Post by Jasonboes »

Hi everyone!

I have a 64 Thunderbird base car with a 390. The numbers stamped in the body, and the numbers on the door plate all match. It says Warranty number not for registration. What is the deal with this? Cops say it is not the VIN. I think it is the VIN just old format. If anyone here can give me some advice I would appreciate it. I want to restore the car but prefer sorting out the title first. Thanks.
jtschug

Re: Lost Title VIN question

Post by jtschug »

Back when these cars were built there wasn't the standard VIN. Each manufacturer had a numbering system to identify a car, and yes, they put a legal disclaimer on there saying it was for warranty purposes only. This is because there was really nothing to prevent two different car manufacturers from putting the same number on two different cars. If that happened and both cars were titled in the same state and the state used the number to register the car then there would be problems. States got around this problem by adding the "make" to the title, and then they went ahead and used the warranty number.

Later, in the 1970s or 1980s an international treaty was signed to standardize VINs world wide.

Apparently the cops you are talking to have not had to register a car from before the VIN treaty. If the door plate matches the body stamps, and that same number appears on your title, then you are all good.

Did you buy this car without a title, or did you title it and then lose the title?
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

The federal requirement for a VIN started in 1969. It was September 1979 when the 17 character standardized format the we know today was implemented.

Every state is unique with respect to how they register older vehicles that do not have a 17 character VIN. Each state also has their own regulations and procedures to issue a title and register a vehicle that currently does not have a transferable title. In fact there are a few states that do not issue a title for vehicles over a certain age. They simply register it and issue plates.

It can be a long, frustrating process to handle these scenarios. You will need patience and keep asking until you find a person who is knowledgeable enough to direct you through the process.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
Richard

Post by Richard »

New York does not issue titles for cars over 25 years old. My 65 Tbird only has a registration for transferring ownership..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
vince

Post by vince »

For further planning, some states offer a classic car plate or a 'regular' plate. In MO. the difference is one needs a safety inspection before getting the standard plate. There are usually driving restrictions on a classic plate such only driving to and event or ???. If that is the case in your state, consider a regular plate as you are probably going to have a mechanic looking at the vehicle somewhere along the way. I have never heard of someone being issued a summons over this but.....
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
Jasonboes

Post by Jasonboes »

"Did you buy this car without a title, or did you title it and then lose the title?"

I bought the car without a title.
tmjsong1aolcom

Post by tmjsong1aolcom »

Most of the issues will be your local state laws. You have not said which state you are working with. If the data plate matches the vin stamped into the frame in 3 places, it makes easier to register. I have a 65 that someone in the past got a title for a ford car and then obliterated the visile 2 vin numbers in the frame. My state is Wi. and they made me get a state issued vin and plate and had to mount that to the drivers door frame. Big pain even though I found the correct vin for the bird. The data plate was also missing. Have to go talk to your state DMV. If you have to vin for the bird, you can order the original gate release from Matis Auto work in Arizona. This will get you started with getting a repop data plate. 2nd is to look for the ROT/Build sheet in the bird. For 64 the most common place is the rear seatback on the passenger side tucked in the springs. other than that there could be one anywhere tucked in the interior. My next spot is if it has power drivers seat there might e on tucked in the spring of the seat bottom.

Please add a pic of the data plate to your answer as well as a pic of the birdy.

Tanx
Fuz
58's&64's
tmjsong1@aol.com
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

I know everyone on here is an honest, law-abiding citizen, so it might be difficult to think like a criminal. But *if* someone wanted to sell a stolen car, they would probably remove the VIN plate and obliterate the VIN stampings on the body. If someone finds themselves in the unfortunate position of owning a car with these kinds of issues, please be careful not to help the thief by working around the government rules designed to prevent a stolen car from being legally registered. There could be perfectly legitimate reasons why a car doesn't have a title or is missing a VIN plate, just be sure this is one of those cases.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

When you finally get your title proof read everything as along the line someone can make a 'typo' on the paperwork. I bought my 1966 from a dealer in NC ten years ago and Exported it to Canada where I was living, no paperwork issues. Only issue was the truck load of autos went missing for two weeks after clearing Canadian customs. Apparently the truck driver had some personal issues never fully explained. Two years ago I retired and moved to VA, again shipping my T-Bird. No issues at US border customs but the transport company left all the Import documents at the border. That took a few weeks to sort out and retrieve the Import documents I needed so I could register the auto in VA. I try to be very organized and have a folder of documents going back to when my Bird was special ordered new in Texas (thanks to all past owners retaining paperwork). Amazing that over the course of all these years since 1966, transferring title /registration from one owner to another, one state to another, one country to another, no issues until I failed to fully proofread my new VA title when it was issued two years ago.
Last summer at an AACA auto show I bought a pair of near mint 1966 Virginia plates, never issued with a number I could easily remember. Vintage plates in VA are just that, vintage originals vs Antique newly offered by the state. I thought, "how cool is that"! My then current VA plates needed to be renewed in Feb. so I waited until a few weeks ago to go to DMV and switch my standard VA plates to my Vintage plates which required paperwork, fees, etc. To do this switch I had to review my current VA title and registration. My Bird has been titled and registered in VA for two years and only now I noticed the Bird was listed as a 1996 T-Bird and not a 1966 T-Bird. Clearly a minor typo I missed for years. In VA you pay taxes on your autos each year and going back through my records, yes, I have been paying taxes on a 1996 T-Bird for the last two years.
One little single digit typo when registering / titling my Bird recently caused me hours at DMV and much stress. Actually DMV in VA was excellent. I showed up with my binder of paperwork, it took them two hours on the computer so sort things out (the recorded VIN did not match a 1996 T-Bird), and I now have my beautiful original black 1966 license plates with a simple number I can remember.
Proof read all your registration / title / insurance document's. A one digit typo can result in many more problems in the future.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

There was a typo on my 1953 Customline one digit added. It took 3 months for the DMV in Illinois to finally correct the issued title. what a PITA that was !
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309