¿No idea?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1990-97 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
smokeswiffox

¿No idea?

Post by smokeswiffox »

So my 97' thunderbird is doing this thing, were it feels like it wants to stall out but only for a short while.( and it never does) it feels worse when its idling, but it goes away after driving for a few min. Cant afford to take it to a shop because i just had to drop 900 just to have the altinator, a cracked terminal, and some pully tention thing replaced, ( totally got ripped off) but any suggestions would help greatly, just somewhere to start i guess. Much <3
mcm51

Re: ¿No idea?

Post by mcm51 »

The easy part first, when you said ya got ripped off, a broken terminal, I'm guessing a broken battery terminal, $3. for a new cable end, I'm guessing this is what most people do OR swap out the entire battery cable which could cost up to $70. for a whole new cable, which winds in every nook and crannie around that motor(4.6 anyway) which may take an hour to replace.....the tensioner you speak of is probably the belt tensioner which cost up to $50., which can be swapped out in 15 min......the alternator which is very easy to get at on a 4.6L, would take about 1/2 hour to swap and cost up to $150. for a good one......
Is this a 3.8L or a 4.6L ? (I'm much better with the 4.6L, that's what mine has, I use to work on 3.8's all the time back in the 1990's but not so much anymore) How many miles is on this Bird ? are you getting any DTC codes(check engine light on) ? If not, hopefully your check engine light bulb is not burned out, BUT I'd sure like to check for any stored DTC codes for the heck of it......IF it's something that is faulty BUT will not set off a code(check engine light), that info helps on what could be faulty......
It sounds as if you describe that the car only acts-out while it's cold and after it warms up, it pretty much runs normal, in other words, this only happens when it's a cold motor ?
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
'86 Mustang SVO 2.3 Turbocharged
'84 Mustang GT-350 5.0 H.O.
VTCI #12973
U.S. Army 194th Armor Ft. Knox, Ky. 1977