Another sucker!

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

travellew

Another sucker!

Post by travellew »

Well.. Looks like I have joined the club.

First, I will admit that I have a bit of an auction addiction (my wife's words). I don't think its an addiction, more like a hobby. I save money for an auction fund and ALWAYS have a limit. I buy and sell stuff for fun mostly (some I keep to use, i.e. a Skidsteer). Anyway, I noticed a cool looking Thunderbird at local Ritchie auction and the bids were low (early in the auction). I threw out a top bid (knowing it would be surpassed) and then sent the link to my wife. Well, the last hour of the auction comes, and holy crap, I'm still the high bidder. I sent and e-mail to my wife letter her know, but was pretty sure in the last few min I would be surpassed. Just as predicted, I was outbid and moved on to other items.... WHEN, my wife sends me a text that she sure would like to drive that Thunderbird to work.... (ya she is an enabler). So I made one more top bid thinking I would be outbid again. NOPE, I won...

So now I have a pretty decent shape 1966 Thunderbird. I've been slowly uncovering the story of the car (seems all cars have a story). We believe the car had a minor restoration in the late 80s (87-88). Interior cleaning and some replacement, a partial repaint (roof, hood, ect). Also an engine swap to a 390 2bbl (guessing out of a truck), no idea why (based on the serial it was shipped with a 428). After that it was driven about 1200 miles between 88 and 94. No idea what happened in 94, but it was parked, most likely indoors (due to the lack of rust and general shape). Sadly it was actually parked with brand new tires (still have the tits on them). At some point 1 or 2 years ago it was taken to Ritchie Bros and auctioned (not the auction I bought from). That owner did some work like dropping the tank, running a new fuel line, replacing the fuel pump and a few small items.. but ultimately could not get it running. Sadly, they stored it outside under a tree during that time. I can only guess that the had too many projects and decided to send it back to auction.

Then I enter the picture. I was able to get it running in the auction lot (new points, plugs, and a roadside carb rebuild). However, it ran really poorly and had ZERO brakes. I got it towed home and have been digging into it since. Front calipers and rear cylinders were seized solid (it was parked with brand new pads, shoes, drums and rotors). It is only running on 5 cylinders, however they all have spark. The interior is dirty and the chrome needs polishing but its %100 complete. The door cards are not wonderful, but everything else it great with almost no rips, tears or cracks in the blue leather. Half the power windows work. ect ect ect.. Things expected of a car parked for 30 years!

So now I need to decide what to do with it. I have 3 options really. 1, Get it road worth and drive it (new brakes, figure out engine issues,ect ect). 2, Restore it (full restoration). 3, Sell it..... or some combination of both (maybe get it running, then sell it, maybe restore then sell, maybe restore then keep). IDK. I have already bought some parts (new brake cylinders, calipers, fuel line and even a 4bbl intake (found at the local wrecker for $30)). I already have it in my mind to tear the engine down and rebuild it.. but who knows..

Anyway.. here is a couple of images. I welcome comments and thoughts.
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
jtschug

Re: Another sucker!

Post by jtschug »

Your best return on investment would be getting It running and driving then sell it for the best price you can get.

Beyond that is just for the love of Thunderbird. That is where it is gets interesting (and addictive)
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Was this car on a trailer going eastbound on Interstate 80 between Lincoln and Omaha on Thursday night Sept. 28th?
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
travellew

Post by travellew »

No.. This car is in Canada.. Edmonton to be exact..

I will post some more stuff I have discovered in a bit. Just out of town for work with limited access!
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Not sure if you know or not but there are TBird members in Edmonton, and communicate with the Kelowna B>C> Bird Club. Do a search for Okanagan Classic T Bird Club. and see if they can refer some local members.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

UPDATE Brain Freeze
After I sent the message to contact the B>C> Club, I noticed that I had missed telling of the Edmonton Chapter of the VTCI @www.edmontonthunderbirdclub.com

Sorry
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
travellew

Post by travellew »

RAVEN wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:53 am UPDATE Brain Freeze
After I sent the message to contact the B>C> Club, I noticed that I had missed telling of the Edmonton Chapter of the VTCI @www.edmontonthunderbirdclub.com

Sorry
Thanks for the heads up. I googled them and will probably join. Even if I don't get help, I may meet some nice people.
64Tbird3

Post by 64Tbird3 »

Hey group,
I just joined.
My opinion is to get it reliably running.
Best three things I did to mine:
1. Replace tires and wheels to modern size rubber
2. Replace the carb with a Holley Street Demon 625 (put the 4bbl manifold on)
3. Upgrade the ignition to Petronix II with wire, plugs and coil

In addition - I replaced all my shocks and bushings and had it aligned.
IMG_0670.jpg
travellew

Post by travellew »

Sigh.. I'm a little deeper now.

Spent a bunch of time and just couldn't get her running right. Missing on 3 of 8. Took the covers off and 4 bent pushrods. I have now pulled the engine and broke it mostly down. Found some metal chunks and light scoring on the cylinder walls. Yup, engine rebuild time (check my other post).

I think some of the most fun has been trying to unravel the story of this car. It definitely had a minor restoration in the 80s. Minor body work and a new coat of paint. The engine was also replaced (originally a 428, but swapped to a 390 during the restoration). I'm still researching the engine, but I think it was a 390 from a 1970 F-truck.

However after that it was obviously kept in a garage for many years due to the lack of rust. It was parked with brand new (I mean brand spanking new) tires from Sears. They even have the tits still in the tread, but sadly are now badly dry rotted. I feel like there is a sad story here where the person might have fallen ill after building his dream car. I do have the last name as it was written in grease pencil on the inside of the tires. I may search it out.. or just leave well enough alone and just make her mine!