Package tray install

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

orthodoc

Package tray install

Post by orthodoc »

I had a mishap where a family member was driving my car and fractured the aluminum top frame just in front of the package tray (see prior post). I have the frame out, welded up, had the package tray repaired of some dents and repainted.

My question…. I took the frame and package tray out of the car as one assembly as I wasn’t really worried about scratching anything. Does anyone have experience installing the package tray after the frame is installed back in the car and hooked back up to the hydraulic rams? Seems that the tray would have to be installed in the top up position and might be difficult to get to the bolts but I’m not sure. I’d think it would be very difficult to reinstall it all together without incurring and scratches or damage.
Attachments
IMG_3804.jpeg
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"
Jim Wulf

Re: Package tray install

Post by Jim Wulf »

I have always have installed the top frame assembly with the package tray secured to the frame. Two people can accomplish the task easily. I've always thought there was a greater chance of scratching paint with the tray being installed separately, although I suppose it can be done that way.
P1020533.JPG.jpeg
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

Thanks for you input Jim. I’ve never put it back in so wasn’t sure. I’ll just assemble it prior to installing in the car
"Rangoon Red"
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

I have installed my frame and package tray. Everything works. Nothing was adjusted as far as the frame when it was welded. As best I could tell when painting the frame and assembling everything, they did a great job welding the main supports on the frame. Very straight. I’m puzzled by my malalignment on the drivers side. The package tray and frame is sitting up. Everything else lines up. The only adjustment I could see for this would be 3 bolts where the hinge mechanism bolts to the trunk to raise and lower the whole assembly vertically. The trouble with this is, the frame is already touching at the rear so lowering would make this worse. Raising would make the entire rear frame sit up from all the way in the back to the front of the gasket. Any thoughts?

I’m puzzled as everything was aligned perfectly before.
"Rangoon Red"
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

Photos did not upload previously.
Attachments
IMG_4033.jpeg
IMG_4034.jpeg
IMG_4035.jpeg
"Rangoon Red"
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

I have been pondering this some more and am wondering if the top is simply not fully “deployed” and the top up limit switch on the frame needs to be adjusted so the rams deploy just a touch further before cutting out and beginning the deck lower cycle. I don’t want to cause more problems but this is my best guess.
"Rangoon Red"
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

Update to this:
I have adjusted the top up limit switch to allow just a bit more travel prior to cutting off the top rams. This has helped the fit of the package tray as well as the top frame sitting all the way down on the car body.

Interesting problem now…
When deploying the top the package tray now sits reasonably snug against either to tonneau or seat back seal, however when the cycle goes to flipper lid retract the package tray pops up about 1/4”. I don’t remember this happening previously. Could this be the solenoids are weak and leaking and no longer holding the pressure in the rams to hold the top and package tray snugly once the pressure from the pump is cut from the rams?
"Rangoon Red"