‘63 Wiper Success (and a new mystery)

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

bigbrownpilot

‘63 Wiper Success (and a new mystery)

Post by bigbrownpilot »

It’s a fricken’ miracle! Todays good news is I decided to flush and refill the power steering on my ‘63 and see if that helped get the wipers working. While bleeding the power steering, I decided to manually exercise the wiper arms and it was aparrent they wanted to work. It seemed like when they stowed they were mashing against the cowl firmly and could not come back up over the windshield gasket lip. I decided to take the wiper arms off the the knob coming through the cowl and see if the knob moved normally and sure enough it did. So whoever installed the wiper arms before I bought the car put them on so low and tight against the cowl that they couldn’t move! So my wiper motor was working all along. That was the good news- the bad news is when I went to replace one of my power window switches I found mystery wiring. A green wire with insulation stripped off and a black wire I thought was a ground but turned out to be hot. Same black wire I discovered was the one causing the car to stay energized with the ignition off and engine shut down. I think someone previously jumpered a hot wire to bypass the window relay and make the window switches work, but I’m not really sure what’s going on yet other than my console is torn apart, I have two wires that don’t seem to be Ford standard, and my windows don’t work now. But I’m 2 for 3 in troubleshooting today!