1965 landeau top replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Saulgoodman

1965 landeau top replacement

Post by Saulgoodman »

any tricks on getting package tray out to get landeau bars off and c-pillar trim . my headliner is good so i really dont want to damage it but have a new vinyl top to put on . I also am not sure on how much front trim needs to br removed or how it comes off. yes i have the shop manuals but they are pretty vague .
cacockrum

Re: 1965 landeau top replacement

Post by cacockrum »

I'm sure that by now you have discovered that replacing the vinyl top is not a simple task. The good news is the headliner does not need to be removed, but almost everything else does. Its been many years since I replaced the vinyl top on my '66, so my memory there is a little fuzzy, but as I recall the process is similar to that of my '68 which I did a couple years ago. First, the arm rests and back seats need to be removed to access the fasteners that secure the trim around the package tray. Also remove the interior moldings above the side windows, the windshield and A-pillars, and the door roof rail weather strips. The interior quarter sail panels, landau bars and package tray can then be removed. This also allows access to the screws and pop rivets that secure the roof rail weather strip retainers, and after removing them the roof drip rail moldings can be removed. Also, the exterior upper windshield and rear window moldings will need to be removed. Note that the roof drip rail, windshield and back window moldings must be removed so the vinyl can be wrapped around the edges of the roof to create a leak-proof seal. This would also be a good time to remove the side and bottom windshield and back window moldings to inspect for and correct any rust damage which may be lurking beneath them, especially at the lower corners.
Saulgoodman

Re: 1965 landeau top replacement

Post by Saulgoodman »

thank you cacockrum i finally got everything off and the new top on . now my pnly problem is getting the front windshield top trim to sit correctly. i and not getting how it sits in the clips correctly. I have looked in all manuauls but they dont show a great view for me . if you have any suggestions i am allears