Original 57 Bronze Carpet Sample Needed

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

57BIRD

Original 57 Bronze Carpet Sample Needed

Post by 57BIRD »

Hi,
Does anyone have an original carpet from their t-bird? I am looking for a sample of the original color from an area under the sill plate that would be a good reference. Willing to purchase/pay for shipping. Let me know if anyone can help. vintageignition@yahoo.com

Thanks
Mike
ward 57

Re: Original 57 Bronze Carpet Sample Needed

Post by ward 57 »

I don't understand why you would need that. Most of the T-Bird suppliers have carpet in stock that pass concourse scrutiny.
VTCI # 13223
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I fully agree with Ward, The suppliers do carry the color you need. BTW Remember if you were find someone with an original carpet sample chances are the carpet could be fragile can tear easy while trying to install. My 2 cents.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
57BIRD

Post by 57BIRD »

The reason I am asking for this is because Larry's T-Bird told me yesterday that they can no longer supply bronze carpet. My understanding is that Auto Custom Carpets is the manufacturer. After speaking with them, they verified that they do not have bronze loop available.

They have some colors in there sample folder that look like they could possibly work, this is why I need the sample so I can match the binding and loop color to something that hopefully matches in their selection.

I would very much appreciate help.

Thanks
Mike
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

57BIRD wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:18 am The reason I am asking for this is because Larry's T-Bird told me yesterday that they can no longer supply bronze carpet. My understanding is that Auto Custom Carpets is the manufacturer. After speaking with them, they verified that they do not have bronze loop available.

They have some colors in there sample folder that look like they could possibly work, this is why I need the sample so I can match the binding and loop color to something that hopefully matches in their selection.

I would very much appreciate help.

Thanks
Mike
I would also contact some of the other T-Bird suppliers such as Hills, CASCO and Concours for their options.
VTCI # 13223
57BIRD

Post by 57BIRD »

Hi Thanks, I did call a couple other vendors and received the same answer.

If someone could please help with an original sample, I would be very greatful.

Mike
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

57BIRD wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:12 pm Hi Thanks, I did call a couple other vendors and received the same answer.

If someone could please help with an original sample, I would be very greatful.

Mike
Do you have any of your original carpet? Asking someone to cut up their own I think is an ask too far. The original interiors never had perfectly matching colors due to the different materials used. If you are going with concours quality I do think the judges can be contacted and ask their opinions as to what their judgement would be. If not going for concours I'd not fret too much.
VTCI # 13223
57BIRD

Post by 57BIRD »

I think you are misunderstanding my request. I am asking if someone has an OLD original bronze carpet that they perhaps took out of they car when they restored it. I am willing to buy the old carpet or whatever...

I am not asking someone to cut up their carpet that is installed currently in their car...

I am going for concours and this would be the best case for me to get where I need to go.

You can see the type of work I do at my website www.OEgold.com
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

If anyone has old carpet ( not likely ) it would be faded and abused so probably tossed. Delve deeply into the concourse judging requirements. If it is a sanctioned judging event and not just an auction look over which Misses a lot, I believe the judges are publicly available for what they are looking for and may have advice. Like I asked before, do you have any scraps from your original carpet for reference? I understand Bronze carpet is really rare ( Never knew it was even available from the factory ) but what you are striving for may be out of reach as your research suggests.
VTCI # 13223
57BIRD

Post by 57BIRD »

I do not have any original carpet scraps. I thought that there may be someone out there that may have some and so I asked the question. There may be a good preserved area under the sill plate which would be helpful.
seany-boy

Post by seany-boy »

There is a seller on Ebay advertising the bronze carpet with the bronze part number. It looks red in the photos so I pinged him and he said it was more of a Burgandy colour than Red but said this is what was sold as Bronze in our cars. No idea of the accuracy of his statement but if interested https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/29593668399 ... name=11051
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D
Oiseau DeTonnere

Post by Oiseau DeTonnere »

Doesn't look like bronze to me. I have a red carpet (from CASCO) and it's "burgundy", not bright red. Looks a lot like the pix in the eBay ad. I would be circumspect.
Black/red 1957 Thunderbird D-code
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

On the few bronze interiors I’ve seen the carpet did have a rust color to it. I guess it could look a little dark reddish out of the car by itself however in the car it’s a bit darker than the bronze vinyl but looks great. It’s definitely only for the bronze interior.
seany-boy

Post by seany-boy »

NPD advertise as having a Bronze color that does look more as Mark describes and their site claims that they have it in stock so might be worth a call. https://www.npdlink.com/product/carpet- ... 741/220622
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D