Leaf Spring Anti-Squeak Pads

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Rusty57

Leaf Spring Anti-Squeak Pads

Post by Rusty57 »

I am getting ready to order parts to refurbish the rear springs on our ‘57.

I notice that some of the Thunderbird supply houses offer both an original style square fiber anti-squeak pad as well as a round plastic one.

What are your experiences with either style? Is there an advantage for one?

The car is very much a great driver for both do us so I am not concerned with originality for show/judging.

Thanks for the guidance!
Rusty
VTCI 13079
55blacktie

Re: Leaf Spring Anti-Squeak Pads

Post by 55blacktie »

Rather than rebuilding worn-out springs, I would consider buying new springs from either Eaton or General Spring. If you desire other than the stock ride height, be sure to discuss it before placing your order.

Originality? my original 55 leaf springs had the waxed cloth anti-squeak between the leafs. My General Springs do not have waxed cloth.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I used the black plastic on both the 55 and 57. Only put about 200 miles on the 57 and now about 10,000 on the 55. No problems or squeaks so far.
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Thanks for the responses.

New springs are my "go to" alternative that if I am not satisfied with the results from refurbishing the current ones. I have friend who is pleased with the leaf springs from St. Louis Spring for his classic cars. One point that is a confusing is the range of pricing. Eaton springs are essentially twice the price of General. I appreciate that recommendation.

It is good to hear that the plastic pads do not create any noise. I know that many people have been unhappy with the noise after they install polyurethane bushings in their suspension.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I've been in this game since the mid 70's. Just from my limited experience, I have never been disappointed for buying the best I could afford. I don't care what the item was, whether I bought the very best or not, or if I had to save up money for a month or three. Just sayin', if the product turned out to be unsatisfactory in the long run, well, I knew I went for the low-priced part. It's called "tuition" and I paid the price for education, and now had to buy another. For the most part, we get what we pay for, AND YES, IT IS NOT ALWAYS this way. If an American made part costs $XXX but another part that may have unknown origins, cost 50%. Do you even think, there might be a quality difference? We are dealing with toys here that cost several tens of thousands of dollars. They are TOYS and FUN CARS to enjoy, NOT a daily driver to get to work or school! Don't cheap out just to save a few bucks, If you deliberate over 20% perhaps you should sell out and put the money into another venture???

A L S O - PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Joe, I agree with your post and understand your position. However if I was in Rusty’s situation I would proceed like he is. He’s been driving his 57 for a while now and knows the condition of the leafs. It appears to me he just wants to restore the existing packages part of which are new pads hence his question. Like Rusty, I drove our 55 for a year before restoring it so I knew the condition of my leaf springs. They were fine. I refurbished them visually and 20 years later they are still providing a good ride and body attitude. The day may come when I need to spend the money on new ones but that day is in the distant future. JMHO….Mark
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Joe Johnston wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:34 pm I've been in this game since the mid 70's. Just from my limited experience, I have never been disappointed for buying the best I could afford. I don't care what the item was, whether I bought the very best or not, or if I had to save up money for a month or three. Just sayin', if the product turned out to be unsatisfactory in the long run, well, I knew I went for the low-priced part. It's called "tuition" and I paid the price for education, and now had to buy another. For the most part, we get what we pay for, AND YES, IT IS NOT ALWAYS this way. If an American made part costs $XXX but another part that may have unknown origins, cost 50%. Do you even think, there might be a quality difference? We are dealing with toys here that cost several tens of thousands of dollars. They are TOYS and FUN CARS to enjoy, NOT a daily driver to get to work or school! Don't cheap out just to save a few bucks, If you deliberate over 20% perhaps you should sell out and put the money into another venture???

A L S O - PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.
You sound like my grandfather. He also beat into my head 'buy the best you can afford; you won't regret it'.
VTCI # 13223
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

You sound like my grandfather. He also beat into my head 'buy the best you can afford; you won't regret it'.

Sounds like someone I could enjoy a bit of bourbon with!!!!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

MarkR wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:41 pm Joe, I agree with your post and understand your position. However if I was in Rusty’s situation I would proceed like he is. He’s been driving his 57 for a while now and knows the condition of the leafs. It appears to me he just wants to restore the existing packages part of which are new pads hence his question. Like Rusty, I drove our 55 for a year before restoring it so I knew the condition of my leaf springs. They were fine. I refurbished them visually and 20 years later they are still providing a good ride and body attitude. The day may come when I need to spend the money on new ones but that day is in the distant future. JMHO….Mark
I had my springs re-arched 30+ years ago, They did add another leaf but the ride Hight is still perfect. They are a little stiff and I can definitely feel the road in the seat of my pants. I had the fronts replaced at the same time. Helps cutting down the body roll in the corners.
I'm not sure why I did but I think it was because they felt soft. I have come to realize the T-Bird was sold as a personal 'Luxury' car and not a true sports car. The soft ride and extra resonators to keep it quiet were most likely intentional.
VTCI # 13223