Brighter Brake Lights?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1980-89 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Dave 82 Heritage

Brighter Brake Lights?

Post by Dave 82 Heritage »

I have replaced the stock bulbs with the brightest LED bulbs available and people in the club say I don't have brake lights, and I have installed a third taillight/brake light in the rear window and still they can't see the brake lights when the sun is shining on them. Not only is this dangerous but it is very frustrating. Any help in overcoming this will be greatly appreciated.

thanks for any help!

Dave
mcm51

Re: Brighter Brake Lights?

Post by mcm51 »

I don't know a thing about these new modern LED bulbs that they sell nowadays, I never venture any further than silver star bulbs and have been quite happy with them.....the reason for my post was to mention hopefully that you don't need a brake light switch down on the brake pedal, I've replaced plenty of them on say pre-early '90's...just about everything I've owned pre-90's (All Fords, of coarse) I've put a brake light switch in BUT no so much anymore....have'nt seen a Ford need a brake light switch in the last 30 years.....In your case if it's not the newer fancy bulbs that's the problem, you may need a switch...if it's never been replaced, they don't cost much, can't hurt to replace it....IF you have'nt done one in a while, just really pay attention to the way the old one comes off, they can be a little tricky how they got it mounted on the pedal.............
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
'86 Mustang SVO 2.3 Turbocharged
'84 Mustang GT-350 5.0 H.O.
VTCI #12973
U.S. Army 194th Armor Ft. Knox, Ky. 1977
mcm51

Post by mcm51 »

Just came up with a possible 3rd option on no brake lights...there might be a fuse in that fuse box labeled "brake lights"...That's the best I can come up with, thinking one of the three, the bulbs themself, brake light switch, or a fuse...............
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
'86 Mustang SVO 2.3 Turbocharged
'84 Mustang GT-350 5.0 H.O.
VTCI #12973
U.S. Army 194th Armor Ft. Knox, Ky. 1977
Dave 82 Heritage

Post by Dave 82 Heritage »

I installed an LED Third brake light and that solves my problem. I also put adhesive backed Chrome sheeting in the cavities behind the lenses which helped as well. No longer worried about getting rear ended due to dim brakes lights.
Thanks for the input!