Gasoline to use?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

4208bernard

Gasoline to use?

Post by 4208bernard »

Getting ready to fill up on the first tank of gas in my new 1964 thunderbird! What's the best fuel/mixture to use ? Unleaded? Premium? Use a lead additive ?
RedBird64

Re: Gasoline to use?

Post by RedBird64 »

It needs premium at a minimum. The manual spcs 99 octane (research method) so...
In my experience a lead additive is not really needed. When unleaded fuel first came into existence there was a lot of doom and gloom about valve seat wear but it never came to pass.
One 390 I rebuilt for a friend many years ago is still running around with more than 250,000 miles on it and still runs great. In my own case I never had an issue with it in my engines either and too much lead can fowl plugs.

Good luck,
Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Some factors to check, and know. NOT all engines need hi-octane, based on your engine timing settings.
Do you know or have you had ping (pre-ignition)? If not, reg may work, IF you have ping then YES premium is required in simple terms.
My Landau, likes an even higher octane, when I have pushed it (Av-Gas) from my local small plane airport.
In regards of lead, it has been found and no rebuttles heard that lead is needed. It has been said that if you continually stand on the throttle then lead is a must. If you are easy on the go peddle it is not necessary.
THE BIG issue is the ETHANOL in the fuels that eat the older rubber hoses, fuel pump diaphagms, and carb seals. Check around your area for ethanol free suppliers. If you are near a boat marina, you will tend to find they have E-10/E15 free fuels.

Welcome to the FORUM

RAVEN
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

AV-gas, more specifically 100LL (100 octane Low Lead) does not contain ethanol (or methanol), has very close to the same characteristics of the "premium" grade of gas that was recommended by Ford when our cars were new. This is dyed blue and because it doesn't have road taxes applied, it is technically illegal to use in your car to drive down a public road in the US, but it is legal to use on the track. There used to be gas stations around me that would sell this with the road taxes applied and legal for road use under the brand name "Turbo Blue", but I haven't seen it in a long time.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Happened to see a picture of a Bird being filled in Richardson TEXAS, with Mobil 100 Octane, priced at $6.999, a couple of days back. Guess the stuff is still out there if you are lucky to find it. That is about $2.30 a litre in equivalent volume/price CDN, about twice the price of CDN Reg gas.
As you use to hear on Rowland and Martin Comedy Hour, years back "THATS INTERESTING, VERY INTERESTING".
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Should I use non-ethenal gas in my 56 t-bird
Hi
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

I’ve been running E-0 or non-ethanol in my 55 since owning it except for the rare case I’m out of town and can’t find a station that offers it. I then use at least 90-91 octane and try to use it up as soon as possible to not let it sit around long and ruin seals and gaskets. Try this to find ethanol free gas when traveling. https://www.pure-gas.org/
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

I have used E10 95 octane which is standard here ever since it came out with no ill effects or pinging. It may not be good for rubber but surely the price of a couple of feet of hose and a fuel pump is a drop in the ocean compared with the cost of any alternative fuel over even a short period.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK