Hood Latch Adjustment

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

GeorgeG

Hood Latch Adjustment

Post by GeorgeG »

I just put the hood back on my '61. Hood is aligned just fine, but the passenger side latch doesn't want to release. Driver's side is fine. If I juggle the front of the hood and have a friend yank on the hood release again, the hood finally opens. Is this just a matter of shifting the latch assembly a bit, or could it be something more complicated?

Thanks
George
VTCI #9586
Early '61 hardtop: 4-wheel discs, C6 trans, 390 HP, coil over shocks, tach, LED lights....in family since new
'75 Porsche 914 1.8 FI upgraded to 2.0 specs
Jim Wulf

Re: Hood Latch Adjustment

Post by Jim Wulf »

GeorgeG wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:33 am I just put the hood back on my '61. Hood is aligned just fine, but the passenger side latch doesn't want to release. Driver's side is fine. If I juggle the front of the hood and have a friend yank on the hood release again, the hood finally opens. Is this just a matter of shifting the latch assembly a bit, or could it be something more complicated?

Thanks
Shift the receiver mechanism forward a little bit at a time, barely a 1/16" until the latch releases normally. The best way I've found is to back out the four bolts just enough to allow the receiver plate to move when tapped very lightly with a wood block. Also make sure the pin and and the receiver are properly lubricated before even moving the receiver.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG »

Thanks Jim. I'll give it a try.
George
VTCI #9586
Early '61 hardtop: 4-wheel discs, C6 trans, 390 HP, coil over shocks, tach, LED lights....in family since new
GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG »

Didn't work, Jim. I think the spring is weak. Now to find a replacement somewhere in the interweb universe.
George
VTCI #9586
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

GeorgeG wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:45 pm Didn't work, Jim. I think the spring is weak. Now to find a replacement somewhere in the interweb universe.
So which spring do you think is weak? I'll assume the conical coil spring on the pin and I have yet to see one of those become weak. All it does is push the hood up a little after the catch has already released the pin. The torsional spring on the catch resets the catch after the pin has released, so that wouldn't cause the the problem you have. Have you already tried lowering the pin in the hood a thread or two? I should have mentioned that in my first post. And, again, make sure everything is properly lubricated as well.

I do have spare conical springs and catch assemblies if you really need one.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige