Flame Thower Coil upgrade

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Peterperfect

Flame Thower Coil upgrade

Post by Peterperfect »

There seems to be a lot of threads on this upgrade but its not clear how to connect it. As an electrical engineer I thought I'd mention what I did to check it. I still haven't found the pink resitive wire connectors (to disconnect it) but have found the pink wire from the bulkhead by the pedals.
My 62 Roadster came with this upgraded coil & electronic points upgrade but was not running right. So after researching the makers info. & reading the VTCI threads I thought I'd check things.
For our application the Flame Thrower coil 8 cylinder version is a 1.5ohm coil which requires 12v when in the engine RUN position. To test it I carried out a very simple test to check if the pink resistive (that drops the voltage to 6-7v) wire was still in place without checking under the dash.
To make things easier at the starter relay by the battery I removed the large relay-starter wire to prevent the vehicle starting. I then connected my volt meter to the coil connections checked the voltage in the key run position (7v) & start position (12v). This means the resistive wire is still in place & the coil is not getting the 12v it requires in the RUN position!
On my 62 I have found the pink resistive wire at bulkhead connector by the pedals & the red/green & brown wires in the engine bay side of this connector. The red green goes to the coil for the run (7v) & the brown start (12v).
So, can someone indicate where the pink bullet connectors are so I can disconnect them as my pink wire comes up to the dash & disappears across by the clock. This is also shown in the workshop manual albeit in the 1963 supplement (instrument panel wiring) going across the dash (maybe to the fuse panel which is on the passenger side on 63's).
If I can't find the connectors I will have to run a new wire from the fuse panel to the coil to feed 12v RUN & disconnect & tape back the existing red/green wire.......which I don't want to do. Either that or fit a standard Fomoco coil. Any pictures of the 62 wires would help.
Thanks
Peter
62 Roadster
64 Convertible Factory Roadster
bbogue

Re: Flame Thower Coil upgrade

Post by bbogue »

On my 61 the pink resistor wire bullet connector was located just a few inches from the ignition switch. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
Peterperfect

Post by Peterperfect »

Hi Bill, its difficult to get anywhere near the ignition switch/wiring due to the large shroud holding the fuse block at the bottom of the air vent.
Can I assume the other end is the pink wire at the bulkhead connector or did you run a new wire after disconnecting the wire from the switch?
T-birds are a Challenge!
Peter
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Peterperfect wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:26 pm Hi Bill, its difficult to get anywhere near the ignition switch/wiring due to the large shroud holding the fuse block at the bottom of the air vent.
Can I assume the other end is the pink wire at the bulkhead connector or did you run a new wire after disconnecting the wire from the switch?
T-birds are a Challenge!
Peter
Peter,
On my 61 I disconnected the pink wire at the ignition switch bullet connector and connected a new wire from the ignition switch all the way to the Pertronix coil. I don’t recall the obstruction you noted at the ignition switch but for sure it’s a very tight area. Best of luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers