Round heater duct link '56 TB

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

fijidad

Round heater duct link '56 TB

Post by fijidad »

One of the things I got from CASCO was the round oil cloth flexible duct that connects the blower motor housing to the fender duct inlet.

Is it true that this link with the two screws is to be screwed through this duct into the two things the duct connects?
Attachments
'56 TB Duct Link.jpg
ward 57

Re: Round heater duct link '56 TB

Post by ward 57 »

That appears correct. It Also appears you have the correct rectangular clamps on the fan to heater box.
VTCI # 13223
fijidad

Post by fijidad »

ward 57 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:07 pm That appears correct. It Also appears you have the correct rectangular clamps on the fan to heater box.
Got it, thanks. Those rectangular clamps are original, just cleaned up.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

That is correct and entirely functional. That said, IF you have concerns about authenticity, compare those slotted head screws to original specs.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
hiampen

Post by hiampen »

There should be the original screw holes in the fender duct inlet and the blower motor housing so you shouldn't have to make new holes. Glad you brought this topic up as I see mine has one slotted screw and one incorrect philips screw( cant have that)
hiampen

Post by hiampen »

There should be the original screw holes in the fender duct inlet and the blower motor housing so you shouldn't have to make new holes. Glad you brought this topic up as I see mine has one slotted screw and one incorrect philips screw( cant have that)
fijidad

Post by fijidad »

Joe Johnston wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:23 am That is correct and entirely functional. That said, IF you have concerns about authenticity, compare those slotted head screws to original specs.
Where would I find the original specs for the screws for this installation?
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Usually there is good information regarding originality on our judging sheets at CTCI.org then click on about us, then authenticity guide 2016. However there is very little info regarding these two fasteners. There is a lot of information regarding the fasteners for the heater hoses to fender apron bracket.
I remember one Bird that appeared to have never had the metal strap installed. No strap and no holes for the fasteners.
The screw heads in your picture match my 55.
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

image.jpg

That information is actually in the Ford Sports Car Electrical installation manual pg. 69.
Part #52726-s8 or s2
Screw-#8-15 x 1/2 cross recess pan hd. Tapp. Type -A
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

MarkR wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:16 pm Usually there is good information regarding originality on our judging sheets at CTCI.org then click on about us, then authenticity guide 2016. However there is very little info regarding these two fasteners. There is a lot of information regarding the fasteners for the heater hoses to fender apron bracket.
I remember one Bird that appeared to have never had the metal strap installed. No strap and no holes for the fasteners.
The screw heads in your picture match my 55.
It's quite possible someone filled in the holes during a re-paint not knowing what went there or why.
VTCI # 13223
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Sorry for the mixup. That’s on me I wasn’t clear. I was meaning the small metal strap on the round duct. What you say is very true. The bracket holes and others in the engine compartment do get filled in sometimes.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Here's mine that are concours accepted:
Attachments
Original Decal
Original Decal
Square Heater Coil Brackets Slot ScrewHeads
Square Heater Coil Brackets Slot ScrewHeads
Round Heater Coil Bracket Slot Screw heads
Round Heater Coil Bracket Slot Screw heads
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I'm surprised the instructions are in such good shape. Mine was missing so I put on a new one where I could see where the original was and it's curling already.
VTCI # 13223
hiampen

Post by hiampen »

Are the round slotted screws in the new bracket of fijidad"s the correct type of screw or are the ones of ICON 1956 correct with the hexagon slotted screw?