'63 door painting detail question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

stove

'63 door painting detail question

Post by stove »

Is it correct, for my Corinthian White Hardtop to have "shadowing" or "black-out" sprayed, basically where it can't much be seen, like behind/beneath the cat whisker strip, and the upper cavity that the vent window assembly slides down into? Pretty sure it is supposed to be there, but this original paint car had the tops of the door panels (the "beige") portion of trim code 54 painted black at some point in it's life, so just want to confirm it's not just overspray I'm finding from when that was done.

After 10 years stewardship, I've made the heart wrenching choice ::? to repaint the flanks, jambs, and rebush the doors.
I have the doors gutted to just the shell now.
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
Jim Wulf

Re: '63 door painting detail question

Post by Jim Wulf »

stove wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:12 pm Is it correct, for my Corinthian White Hardtop to have "shadowing" or "black-out" sprayed, basically where it can't much be seen, like behind/beneath the cat whisker strip, and the upper cavity that the vent window assembly slides down into? Pretty sure it is supposed to be there, but this original paint car had the tops of the door panels (the "beige") portion of trim code 54 painted black at some point in it's life, so just want to confirm it's not just overspray I'm finding from when that was done.

After 10 years stewardship, I've made the heart wrenching choice ::? to repaint the flanks, jambs, and rebush the doors.
I have the doors gutted to just the shell now.
I've never noticed any blackout paint in those areas, but then again, I wasn't specifically looking for any. The fact that your car was repainted black at one point makes it more likely that it was overspray. JMHO

My experience with rebushing the doors has been to use the bronze bushing, but reuse the original pins. The new pins that I've seen have been undersized by a couple of thousandths. The bushing is sacrificial and that's where all the wear occurs. If the bushings are worn, as most are, the doors can never be aligned correctly. It makes a huge difference.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
stove

Post by stove »

Thanks as always Jim.

I did do just that, regarding the hinge pins, I'm betting the 'imported' pins that come with the kit are probably more
sacrificial than the Bronze :roll:

I was dismayed at losing the length on the bushings, compared to the originals. I suppose a guy could really get picky and
rearrange/re-index the original bushings to get a half-lifed win against gravity.

I did like the way the new bushings fit though, in that, it seemed installing them into their homes actually 'shrunk' them up a half thou' or so.
Seems like the hinges will outlast me, and are pretty tight slop free now.

I'll post some pics of this 'shadowing' I'm referring to. The more I look at it, the more I think it's supposed to be present.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Re: blackout of top of door edge for the stainless-trimmed 'cats-whiskers', the '63 Body-Trim-Sealer manual does show blackout paint being applied to the doors and rear quarter openings. Instructions say to apply the blackout paint after body color has been sprayed.
1963 door-quarter window blackout (from 1963 T-bird Body-Trim-Sealer Manual)
1963 door-quarter window blackout (from 1963 T-bird Body-Trim-Sealer Manual)
I haven't checked the '61 or '62 versions, but I assume the same was done for all three years.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
stove

Post by stove »

Oh brother! Thanks Alan.. Been through my B,T & S manual dozens of times, somehow this page escaped me...
Thanks for pointing out what I had right in front of me the whole time. I'll still post pics, just because it's a good clean original
example of this, since the thread is in the ether now.

Cheers!
stove

Post by stove »

-
Attachments
IMG_9554.jpg
IMG_9553.jpg
IMG_9552.jpg
IMG_9551.jpg
IMG_9550.jpg
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

An interesting detail that reflects the high standards Ford had regarding these cars. Wixom ceased painting these recesses black within the side window openings on the '64 - '66 generation.