1964 Thunderbird - New to me, First T-Bird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

longfastride

1964 Thunderbird - New to me, First T-Bird

Post by longfastride »

Hello, All.

This is my first post here and I hope that there is not another section that I need to be posting in. Please guide me if so.

I just acquired a Wimbledon White 1964 Thunderbird yesterday. I have been looking for some time and found what I hope is a good deal. Unfortunately, after a long trek hauling a trailer I picked the car up in a massive Thunderstorm. I wish I would have had an opportunity to spend some more time looking the car over but it is what it is.

390 Car, runs and idles well. I went ahead and put a new battery in the car as it was very old. The car does not drive out. It idles all day but as soon as I give it some gas and try to drive it dies on me. Brakes seem to be in decent shape. The Steering column and shifter is an absolute nightmare. No turn signal function and finding park is a mess. Interior needs work but I feel like I have a pretty rust free car. That could always be wrong.

If I am honest I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment and not 100% sure where to start. I assume that you guys are an amazing group of resources and I will gladly take any advice. I have built a couple motorcycles and can wrench on a bike okay but this already feels like a different animal. I am including some pictures and a short video of the car at idle.
Attachments
IMG_4247 copy 2.jpg
Terry64HT

Re: 1964 Thunderbird - New to me, First T-Bird

Post by Terry64HT »

Welcome to the forum. You have a great car, I say that because of what it is but also it's identical to mine (at least on the outside).
You will find some wonderful people here as well as a wealth of information. Learn to use the search function to find answers to topics you need to know about and learn about the suppliers that specialize in these cars. You also should get a copy of the shop manual as well as the electrical and body assembly manuals. They are readily available.
Once more, welcome and ask away.
Terry
64HT
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

58-60 year old cars, can be very problematic every where if not maintained through out their life, one problem I experienced was the differential, needing new gears one of the main reasons is the rear differential gear oil, if never change and flushed turns into a tar like substance, so a differential that could last forever is ruined, flushing the dizzy and tunnels the axles are in would be a good move, though I do not know if the axle tunnels can be flushed without removing the axles, doing so would require new seals. On top of right rear tunnel there is a vent if plugged that could blow your pinon seal, it is easy to unplug though few know about it, or what is in their differentials. There could be much more, I do not want to discourage you.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Your stalling could be a vacuum leak. Check all your hoses are connected from brake booster to manifold, transmission etc.
longfastride

Post by longfastride »

Thank you, guys. I appreciate the warm welcome. Working through a punch list of to do items so I can try and get a baseline understanding of what I just bought. This seems like a great forum with a wealth of information!