Stickers for 66

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Alan H. Tast

Re: Stickers for 66

Post by Alan H. Tast »

bcox66bird wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:29 pm Hello again,

Well ECS responded and they do not have a decal with the D. I have created one myself and I believe it will be good enough. On my 66 seat label, it is original but only half is still there. On the bottom left I could determine that there was a date stamped, but to degraded to make out. My label is printed on paper. I have also started to reproduce a label myself, but it is slow going.
After looking at the pictures of the labels, I can also see a difference in the lettering. I will post the pictures if I can figure how to do it. I tried following the post about how, but I could not make it work. Just another senior moment!!

Last, do you and Alan know about how far out the revisions will be available?

Scott,I am going to send you a PM.

Thanks ,

Buddy
Buddy: If you're having problems posting pics of the remnants of the lable, feel free to email/PM Scott and me directly with them. My email address is in the Scoop.

As for a target date for release of revisions, that's literally a moving target. What was supposed to take a few months is stretching into what seems like years. Why? Those of us working on it are being VERY thorough, and the more we dig into something, the more we find needs documenting, revision and addition to the OFS book. For example, I'm trying to wrap up the Interior section and it's already over 120 pages in length, and still growing. I can't see an interim version being ready until late summer at the earliest, and even then it may still require some back-and-forth before we'll be happy with it.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Buddy,

So ECS Automotive Concepts claims they don't have a 'D' to make up an FE engine label? That seems odd to me because they offer 390 labels for the '67, '68, '69... Mustang's and those engines certainly weren't built in the Cleveland 1 Engine Plant! The 390 labels would need to have a 'D' for Dearborn Engine Plant on them to be correct. I'm going to have to contact them and ask them about that!

You know, it's relatively easy to make up the label yourself. Even easier, you could just save the photo of the 410 S I made up and posted last Tuesday on the previous page and make a photocopy of that. Trust me, it is very accurate based on what I know about these engine ID labels. The original labels were approx. 1 1/8" high X 3 3/4" wide. The font for the number on the label is 7/8" high. Once you have it printed on paper, cut it about 6" long so you have some spare paper to grab onto. Mark where the ends of the label should be (3 3/4" long) with a pencil and then pull it over the serrated blade of a roll of packing tape where your pencil marks are to get the serrated ends and the proper length. It's works like a charm and looks very authentic.

Scott
bcox66bird

Post by bcox66bird »

Scott,

Thanks for all the info. I belive have all I need to move foward.

Do you know of anyone producing the origional Caution Fan decale with the proper lettering and three color?

If so please let me know,

Buddy
Alan H. Tast

Caution Fan Decal authentic reproduction availability.

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Buddy:

A few people are remaking the decal - in fact, check back issues of the Scoop's classified section within the past few years as I believe there have been ads for them. 'Raven' (Wally Kent) has had some made up with a coated face (the originals did not) which will hold up better than uncoated ones, while 'stove' (Steve Ulrich) has them without a coating per original. Scott6T6 and I did a rather extensive article on these a few years ago in the Scoop and showed variations in the decal offered from '61 through '67.

Once you've compared the poor 2-color reproduction with non-OEM graphics and rounded corners that's been around since the '80s with an original, you'll see how they differ - it's like night and day.

Original decal on a new car take-off '62 Galaxie shroud from my personal collection
Example of original decal on new car takeoff '62 Galaxie shroud (Alan Tast collection)
Example of original decal on new car takeoff '62 Galaxie shroud (Alan Tast collection)
Incorrect 2-color decal offered individually and in decal package kits from virtually all vendors since the 1980s - note spacing of letters on top line and size of radius cuts at corners.
DF118 Fan Caution decal from Jim Osborn Reproductions offered in most engine decal kits
DF118 Fan Caution decal from Jim Osborn Reproductions offered in most engine decal kits
Comparison of NOS and reproduction Fan Caution decals made by Wally Kent - note one has the "Made in USA" in lower right corner
Example of decal made by Wally Kent ('Raven')
Example of decal made by Wally Kent ('Raven')
One of the reproductions by Steve Ulrich compared to a NOS example. Steve originally made these for his 1967 T-bird restoration, and eventually reproduced all three variations that have been documented to exist.
Another reproduction by Steve Ulrich ('stove') compared against NOS example
Another reproduction by Steve Ulrich ('stove') compared against NOS example
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
bcox26

Post by bcox26 »

Thanks Allan, I do remember the article now that you have mentioned it.
The search is on!

Buddy
bcox26

Post by bcox26 »

Thanks Allan, I do remember the article now that you have mentioned it.
The search is on!

Buddy
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

Hi Raven, I sent you a PM. Thanks, Ed
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Back in the early 1990s, I created my own replica of the original CAUTION FAN decal using a weathered original found on a friend's car. I wanted a 'correct' decal to use on my own Thunderbird. In 2016, I managed to snag several NOS CAUTION FAN decals on eBay. Going back to my original artwork and using a NOS decal as my guide, I further refined it to create a very accurate rendition of the original decals. About that time, I became acquainted with Steve Ulrich. Steve and I share a passion for factory correct, totally stock and highly accurate vintage Thunderbird's. I found out Steve had reproduced several decals in the past and he was then working on developing the 1967 390/428 air cleaner CID decals. I started working with him on those and eventually I shared my artwork with him for the CAUTION FAN decals. Steve then set out to produce a highly accurate reproduction. Eventually through trial and error he nailed it and went on to produce all three variants of the decal - the '61 - '64, the '65 and the '66/'67 versions. These are printed on non-coated paper, just as the original decals were. I have examples of all three and they look great. Last year I installed one of these decals on a 23,000 mile '64 survivor owned by a friend of mine, and I can tell you it looks very much like a factory installed decal. See for yourselves.
You can get these CAUTION FAN decals from The Bird Nest.

Scott
Attachments
Rene's engine rh side 2 copy.jpg
Last edited by Scott6T6 on Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
stove

Post by stove »

Hi, Steve Ulrich here!...

Matt Truax (The Bird Nest) is now the retailer for all of my decals & labels, please reach out to them for purchase.
I noticed that they are still not listed on their Website.
Last edited by stove on Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

stove wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:05 am Hi all! Matt Truax (The Bird Nest) is now the vendor for all of my decals & labels, please reach out to them for purchase.
I noticed that they are still not listed on their Website.

And yes, it's Steve Ulrich, not Harris :mrgreen:
Steve: My apologies. I was going through old photos/file names and must have grabbed the wrong one, instead of going back into the actual material for the articles Scott and I put together. I'll edit my previous post accordingly. Either way, great to hear that what you've been working on has a retail source now. (This is another reason why I prefer the 'Forum' format over Facebook - I can easily go back and edit/correct past posts :cool: )
Alan H. Tast, AIA
stove

Post by stove »

No worries Alan!! :lol:
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

Is the fan caution decal supposed to be on the upper most part of the fan shroud vs. the large protective shield over the radiator on a 66?
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Ed,
It was installed in either place! On cars with A/C like yours, most often it went on the fiberglass fan shroud. However, I have seen them down on the steel upper radiator support too. Kind of up to you... I will sure stick better and lay nice and flat on the upper radiator support.
Scott
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

Thanks Scott, There is 1.25" of flat going across the fan shroud. If the original is that or less, that's where I will put it. If not, it's going on the radiator support.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

The decal is 1.625 tall as per the original, give or take a hair of rough measurement just now. I created it to be an exact repop.
I made my units a couple of years back so I do not have my engineering drawings at hand to be exact to a + or - dimension.
Its in CAD so I can redo when necessary.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible