are they all like this?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Sierra John

are they all like this?

Post by Sierra John »

There's a gap where the speedometer facing meets the center section. The bottom fits great, but the top of the center piece is pushed forward and to the right. I've tried several times to align it. Is there some way to adjust, or do they all do that?

IMG_20230408_161331.jpg
1966 Town Hardtop
ELTBIRD

Re: are they all like this?

Post by ELTBIRD »

Don't know why that is Sierra John. Here's mine.
Attachments
20230408_225336.jpg
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

My camera had a problem with the black interior. I tried several times, but this was the best I could come up with.

Those dash trim panels actually did fit together quite nicely as you can see in Ed's photo along with mine. Somebody has had yours apart and it has not gone back together properly. Sorry, but I don't have any experience with that not going together as intended or advice on how to correct it.

Hopefully someone else here can give you some pointers on what you need to do to correct the mis-alignment problem!

Scott
Attachments
Dash gap 2.JPG
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

After almost 60 years a lot has happened and some amateur mechanics are better than others. You may be dealing with one or more stripped holes. I’ve had some luck if you have good access to the hole flattening it out with a sheet metal hammer and a spoon which can get a screw to hold again. It is very important not to over torque the screws.

Next when installing this stuff put in all the screws loosely and shift things around to get good alignment before tightening anything down. This can be time consuming, but if you care about gaps and alignment, this is how you do it.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Sierra John

Post by Sierra John »

Thanks for the tips/advice everyone. The photos you included look a lot better than my setup. I'll try some more straightening and adjusting.
1966 Town Hardtop