Bill VanEss - In Memoriam

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

Alan H. Tast

Bill VanEss - In Memoriam

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I just learned, and it's my sad duty to inform longtime VTCA/VTCI members, that Bill Van Ess of Grand Rapids, Michigan, former VTCA 1958-60 Tech Editor in the 1970s-early 1980s, maintainer of the 1958 T-bird Convertible Registry, member of VTCA-VTCI since the early 1970s, and a true automotive enthusiast, lost his battle with throat cancer on Tuesday, March 21st, 2023, at the age of 69. Bill was an amazing individual, knowledgeable in virtually everything Squarebird and Panteras, restoring his long-term project 58 convertible and racing a cloned 59 NASCAR hardtop, as well as an accomplished musician who was a founding member of a Beatles tribute band called "That Beatles Thing" in which he performed for over a decade until diagnosed with cancer last year.

One of my most favorite moments at a VTCA-VTCI convention was participating in an impromptu jam session/sing-along in the Hospitality Room following the Awards Banquet at the 1990 North Central Regional in Bloomington, Minnesota with Bill and several other talented people that carried us into the wee hours of a Sunday morning. The camaraderie and love in the room was real, and something that could not be duplicated today. I could go on and on about Bill's friendship and the common bond we shared as 'young'uns' in the Club, but that would consume volumes.

Rest well, Bill - until we meet again.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
RAVEN

Re: Bill VanEss - In Memoriam

Post by RAVEN »

I remember Bill, lovely man and had a wonderful outgoing personality. He will be missed and sadly was taken to soon. Did not have any dealings recently but in years gone by we did have some interesting conversations.
May he rest quietly.
Not to many 70's era members still around.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible