Sanderson headers, passenger side exhaust routing?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Dunk67

Sanderson headers, passenger side exhaust routing?

Post by Dunk67 »

How are you guys with Sanderson headers routing your exhaust on the passenger side? The outlet is straight back and tight to the firewall. There is a flange on the body that it looks like I could remove to allow an easier turn 90* down then 90* back. 45* down might be possible above the crossmember and next to the transmission, but it's super tight to go that way. I'm thinking about trimming the body flange to give more room.

I'm trying to fabricobble something together to hook to the factory 2" exhaust for cam breakin and if decent to use for a while before getting a full 2.5" exhaust. Thoughts or what have you done?
Screenshot 2022-09-04 190339.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-04 190433.jpg
dgalietti

Re: Sanderson headers, passenger side exhaust routing?

Post by dgalietti »

I havent built my exhaust yet, but i mocked it up and if you use the provided angled flanges there is enough room
Dunk67

Post by Dunk67 »

I managed without trimming or bending the body. Super ghetto 3" collector down to 2" pea shooters. It should get 2.5" eventually but I couldn't fit a 2.5" mandrel bent elbow of the tightest turn available from Summit's prebent selection. i used the tightest 2" and expanded the end. Quick and dirty into factory 2" is good enough for cam break in... Shameful hackjob.
20220913_213258.jpg
20220913_213212.jpg
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

From memory with Sanderson you have a 90 degree bend from the header.
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Well now you've helped me! I need to hack together a temporary partial exhaust so I can get the car running with the Sniper EFI. I was thinking it would be considerably more complicated, so I haven't tackled it yet.

Are you not able to fit on the two cross braces with the exhaust like that?
Dunk67

Post by Dunk67 »

I thought both braces would fit but did not pay close enough attention. With the pipes as pictured the passenger side fits fine, but the driver side pipe come down too low. Now that I'm getting back to this project I'll pull it out and cut about an inch out of the part going upward to the header. It's a tight fit between the brace under the transmission and the crossmember brace. I'm sure the exhaust shop will hate me when I ask them to do 2.5". I might just drive it down there like it is and show them where the brace needs to go.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

If you look back through the 61-63 section I think "Graeme" Ozbird a guy from Melbourne Aust had pictures of his Sanderson fitment, around about 2016.
Edit " Dam. Found the post but the last lot of pics are gone"