Brakes

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1980-89 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Dave Stambaugh

Brakes

Post by Dave Stambaugh »

82 Bird, Heritage Edition, 4.2 Liter V8, 30,1000 miles:
Brake pedal is at the top with engine off. Start Engine and have to depress pedal at least halfway down to get brakes. Once I get brakes, they are great. Why does the pedal drop so far with the Booster engaged? Do I need to replace the booster or is there an adjustment needed?

HELP PLEASE!
Alan H. Tast

Re: Brakes

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Dave Stambaugh wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:34 am 82 Bird, Heritage Edition, 4.2 Liter V8, 30,1000 miles:
Brake pedal is at the top with engine off. Start Engine and have to depress pedal at least halfway down to get brakes. Once I get brakes, they are great. Why does the pedal drop so far with the Booster engaged? Do I need to replace the booster or is there an adjustment needed?

HELP PLEASE!
I'd suspect that the booster has seen better days, but there are other things to look for or suspect. For instance, if the brake hoses haven't been changed out and are still original, I'd be suspicious that they may have deteriorated and are swelling shut from the inside - the pedal effort you're exerting to get them to engage may be a sign that you're trying to overcome an obstruction in the line. You may want to start out by bleeding the brake system and flushing out the old brake fluid, and maybe remove the flex hoses at the calipers and rear axle to check them for cracks or other signs of deterioration. Better yet, just 'bite the bullet' and replace them, but save the old hoses if original so that you have something to refer back to in the future if you need to have a set fabricated.

Given that I have virtually no experience with Fox-bodied '80-'82s, I'd think that common brake system diagnosis recommendations would be applicable. Usually when boosters fail the pedal is rock-hard (no vacuum assist due to a leak or failed internal component), or the pedal immediately goes to the floor (hydraulic issue).

Do you have the set of shop manuals for '82 Ford/Mercury/Lincoln cars? If not, I suggest you start looking for a set. Start with literature vendors like Faxon's or do a Google search to see if there is a set on CD-ROMs or if other electronic copies are available. Brake system diagnosis procedures and adjustments/specs for the push rod length should be in the Chassis volume if I remember correctly.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
mcm51

Post by mcm51 »

Yea kinda sounds like all that pedal travel your getting could mean that ya just need to bleed the system and get some new brake fluid in there and that may get rid of a lot of that pedal travel OR thin brake linings could cause extra pedal travel IF that does'nt get rid of that extra travel, you could very well be looking at a booster, but my guess is one or the other....keep us informed if ya get into it.....
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
'86 Mustang SVO 2.3 Turbocharged
'84 Mustang GT-350 5.0 H.O.
VTCI #12973
U.S. Army 194th Armor Ft. Knox, Ky. 1977
Dave 82 Heritage

Post by Dave 82 Heritage »

Issue resolved. Flushed the system and now the brakes work great.
Thanks for the input.

Dave