Signal Light Switch Replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

paul2748

Signal Light Switch Replacement

Post by paul2748 »

I have to replace the signal light switch in the steering column. Don't want to remove column. Any one have any tips on replacement, especially running the wires?

Thanks
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
gt5-33

Re: Signal Light Switch Replacement

Post by gt5-33 »

No tips on running the wires but I was unable to find a new switch at any of the baby bird suppliers.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

CASCO has them ,Part #13341 $104.75
VTCI # 13223
gt5-33

Post by gt5-33 »

Called CASCO and they said on back order.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

gt5-33 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:47 pm Called CASCO and they said on back order.

Same with the heat risers. Somewhere on a slow boat from the far east, that is if they have even been made yet.
VTCI # 13223
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Paul2748,

I have not done this task on our model TBird. On other cars I have successfully used the existing wires to pull the new wires through the column.

What I often do is attach a "pull" wire to the existing bundle. I like to use what is called "Safety wire". It is strong, smooth and fairly flexible. I have someone help by feeding it down the column while I pull the old harness. Then I attach the new harness to that wire and pull it.

Sometimes the terminals on the new harness make it too large to fit through the hole as a full end bundle. So I will tape the terminals in maybe pairs in a line along the harness to make it thinner.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

ward 57 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:08 pm
gt5-33 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:47 pm Called CASCO and they said on back order.

Same with the heat risers. Somewhere on a slow boat from the far east, that is if they have even been made yet.

Why is it so hard to get these things made here? I would gladly spend more for American made with better quality to boot. And on top of that if there is an issue it could be delt with immediately instead of months for corrections as if the foreign manufacturers even cared about quality over the bucks they suck from us.
VTCI # 13223
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Thanks Rusty - that is what I thought of doing (using a strong string). This is what I have used in the past when running a new horn wire but now I have six wires to worry about.
Rusty57 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:53 pm Paul2748,

I have not done this task on our model TBird. On other cars I have successfully used the existing wires to pull the new wires through the column.

What I often do is attach a "pull" wire to the existing bundle. I like to use what is called "Safety wire". It is strong, smooth and fairly flexible. I have someone help by feeding it down the column while I pull the old harness. Then I attach the new harness to that wire and pull it.

Sometimes the terminals on the new harness make it too large to fit through the hole as a full end bundle. So I will tape the terminals in maybe pairs in a line along the harness to make it thinner.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

I guess you can change the switch without pulling the steering column, but it sure makes it a lot easier to pull it. If your wiring is old and the colors are faded be sure that you identify where the wires connected that you disconnected. That was the case with my car and even though I thought I had identified everything well I still had some problems getting everything back together correctly. You can try it without pulling the steering column if that doesn't work then pull it. Good luck.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
gt5-33

Post by gt5-33 »

I went ahead and pulled my column because I want to replace the chrome pieces, pin the hub and replace the turn signal switch. My switch was working but I thought I would replace as it could be 65 years old. I was told by several of the Thunderbird suppliers it was on back order and could be six months. So I sprayed the inside on the switch with electrical contact cleaner which improved the switch operation (no dirt inside). Removing the column was not that big of a job and a lot easier to work on the column on the work bench.
voltron

Post by voltron »

You might consider using something like Dyna-Blue electrical cable lubricant that electricians use to pull tight cable bundles through conduit.
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

If you decide to have your chrome parts re-chromed
having chrome on the inside of the collar can cause binding,
I’v had to hone the inside of the collar to get a slip fit
just a word of caution
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA