62 Electric Wiper Motor

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

BarryT

62 Electric Wiper Motor

Post by BarryT »

Evening.........I purchased this 62 vehicle with inoperable wipers and now I'm troubleshooting the system. I removed the speaker grill and speaker to view the motor. I only see one wire going into the motor, which has power with ignition on, and the cable attached under a cover, that does move when I rotate the switch. I have a few issues that I could use a lesson on. Number 1....what's the logic, purpose, and function of a mechanical cable that attaches from the switch to the motor? Number 2........wiring diagrams for this system are very vague. I have, what I beleive, are all the manuals for the 62 and the best wiring diagram I can find is the one attached. This diagram illustrates the windshield wiper motor and switch as an assembly that receives direct current from the ignition switch through a circuit breaker. No indication of a switch in the wiring diagram. The Osborn illustration does show the switch indicating a black and white wire. Appreciate any wiring and function assistance, Thanks for helping me put the pieces together. Barry
Attachments
IMG_6354.jpg
wiper motor.jpg
redstangbob

Re: 62 Electric Wiper Motor

Post by redstangbob »

Although I don't recall coming across this problem before, I'll take a stab at it. Unfortunately Ford didn't elaborate on the wipers in the 62 or the 61 shop manual. I think what I see is a two speed wiper motor, 4 wires all together. The black/white wire supplies power to run the motor in hi and lo, and have a constant source for parking the wipers when the switch is shut off. The cable must move an internal selector for motor speed and an contact for PARK when dash switch is moved to the OFF position. I would say you need to get into that wiper motor, or remove the selector section in place if that's easier. I think you'll find burned or dirty contacts on the disc. JMO, good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
BarryT

Post by BarryT »

Bob Thanks for the wiper operation lesson. I've dealt with vacuum, hydraulic, and electric wipers but I haven't seen an electric switch operated by a mechanical cable. Now my issue is ........can I remove the wiper motor without removing the dash...?
Mvs62bulletbird

Post by Mvs62bulletbird »

1962 roadster Hi I am into the same wiper issue as this post, I have been told the motor is in the hood cowling that bits up into the windshield.
I don’t know that yet. Too cold to pull it out. Do you know the voltage and the switch positions? And with the cable has it been lubricated? Anyway can you re post a photo of the wiper motor diagram and share your results

Thank you so very much, such an adventure

Michael,

you can pm me if you like and or email me after that. I have been slamming the issues off the check list ✅ and this is one
I want done, or it’s Rain X 5.99 @ bottle and I just drive faster :-))
BarryT

Post by BarryT »

dash.jpg
I've attached a good photo for your review. You can clearly see the wiper motor position and the wiper transmission arms. All the components are inside the passenger compartment. The only items under the cowl are the wiper arm pivots that the arm/blade attaches to. I would suggest you remove the speaker grill, speaker, and the radio to get decent view of the motor, the single power wire bullet connector, and the mechanical cable switch. Key on position should be reading battery voltage at the power wire to the motor. Always best to have a fully charged battery. Take a voltage reading across the battery, the voltage on your wiper power wire should be the same, a large difference between them indicates a high resistance problem causing a voltage drop. The ground circuit should be intact. Perhaps run a jumper ground attached to the motor housing back to the Negative battery terminal. With the clock removed you can view the wiper switch and cable. As you turn the switch you should be able to view the cable end that attaches to the wiper switch moving the switch mechanism. Not many additional checks you can do with the wiper attached and mounted. You might not want to hear it, but like the Dentist says, " Think we have to pull it". Good Luck
Mvs62bulletbird

Post by Mvs62bulletbird »

Omg, wow i’m going to follow your lead and take the speaker cover off on the dash where I can clearly see the wiper motor underneath that and then check the power by question being with that said is that (are we running 6 V to the wiper motor or are we running 12 V) My issue is that I’ve got a pair of high-end crossover tweeters in that opening on the dash that I have to move to get it the wiper motor another problem.

I don’t know. Next point I see serval wiper motor options out there at Ecklers’s for a 55 through 57 but nothing on a 62 and their motor is a 12 V configuration. It looks identical to this one but I’m not sure. next point Their motor is a Bolt on replacement for the existing wiper arm mechanisms inside and against the firewall that go through to the cowling so literally bolt on bolt I haven’t seen a 61-62-63 wiper motor out there from anyone. If you know of one, please let me know.

I will check the voltage going in to the wiper motor, but it seems crazy to have a cable and that’s what it is to move a mechanical switch inside the dash but I guess that’s what it is, the knob for the wipers doesn’t turn left or right and doesn’t pull in or out. It’s not functional right now and if you’ve got some guidance on how the knob is supposed to move while you’re sitting in the driver seat, that would be very helpful.

Do you know what the voltage on that motor should be? I think it should be 12 V if it’s coming off the ignition and the ignitions coming off the battery. Now on the clock and other indicators it step down to 6 V or 6.3 to 6.7 V I’ve got that figured out And I can dial that into what I need. Attached is a picture that I have from Ecklers of a 57 wiper motor. It looks identical but they won’t guarantee it’ll work as close to $300. That’s like 90 bottles of Rain x

I am looking to put a tachometer in the car coming off the negative side of the ignition coil 12 V and then running that to a hot lead switched. Of course I bought the switches to do this. Any suggestions on where to find a decently priced low profile tachometer and has anyone put in a tachometer, and how they do it
Please excuse any mistakes and spelling errors dictated to my iPhone

I do want to tachometer. Correct?

And the motor sounds awesome but it’s just I prefer to have a tachometer in a car and I’ve got to pull the clock out anyway to have it fixed but I believe the clock fuses are up in the firewall of the fender on the driver side. I haven’t got there yet either , I will let you know what the voltage is that I see or touch going in through the speaker housing on the dash and up underneath the dash with a endoscope they’re not for you know what anymore I’m using it on the my thunderbird and it works beautifully

Wiper motor replacement if necessary, well, the 55-57 wiper motor that looks identical fitness 61-62- 63?

I’m also going to bring a wire fused @10 amps right off the battery on a switch to the wiper motor to test it from what I can see the wiper motor is fused in a fuse box but I’m not sure again.

Barry T, I am so appreciative for your help. It makes all the difference thank you thank you thank you:-))
Michael
Attachments
IMG_5883.png
IMG_6040.png
IMG_6226.png
IMG_6284.png
BarryT

Post by BarryT »

Lets focus on the wiper motor. To my knowledge I don't believe a new or remanufactured wiper motor for the 62 exists. Perhaps you could reach out to one of the VTCI vendors. The picture of the wiper you attached will not work. The electrical system on the 62 is a 12 volt system. The Gas gauge and the Temperature gauge are powered up through the constant voltage regulator supplying the gauges with a lower voltage between 5.5 to 6 volts. I attached another picture for you to review.
Attachments
open dashcopy.jpg