[SOLVED] 1976 Thunderbird - Engine light not working

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
lennard

[SOLVED] 1976 Thunderbird - Engine light not working

Post by lennard »

Hello everyone,

I have recently imported a 76 Thunderbird to Germany... the car is in pretty good shape, but there are a few bits and bobs that need fixing, including the oil pressure / overheat indicator light on the dash. As I understand it the light should come on, when I switch the ignition on, however it does not. I have already removed the dash to check the bulb, and the bulb is good - there is no voltage at the bulb socket with ignition on.

Now i have a Haynes workshop manual with circuit diagrams, but the indicator bulb ist not represented there, so I cant figure out which components tie into it and where to check for broken wires/corroded contacts/the like...

The original owners manual tells me that fuse 16 is also responsible for this light, but the fuse is good...

So my question now is, if anyone here can tell me how the engine light curcuit works, where the contacts are and which components might need checking. It might seem like a very minor problem, but since I cant readily get replacement parts where I am, let alone a whole engine, I really dont want to kill it by being negligent on something like this...

Well, thanks for taking a look,
Lennard
Last edited by lennard on Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
lennard

Re: 1976 Thunderbird - Engine light not working

Post by lennard »

Problem solved. The connector for the oil pressure switch had simply become loose and fallen off...

For anyone else with the same problem: The oil pressure switch on a 460 is located at the rear left top side of the engine, where the block meets the transmission. It looks like an egg with a threaded stud on top.