64-66 OFS Revisions - Preliminary Notice of New Edition

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Alan H. Tast

64-66 OFS Revisions - Preliminary Notice of New Edition

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Just to tease you all - we are excited to announce that we are in the process of preparing a revised edition of VTCI's 1964-1966 Original Factory Specifications (OFS) manual. The 2022 revision will add approximately 100 pages to 170+ pages that make up the 2004 edition of the manual that's currently being offered through the VTCI Country Store. No release date has been established yet, but we are working towards offering our 'Beta' version within the coming month or so to start the process.

http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/c ... _books.htm

We are looking into color printing of the book (current version is in black-and-white), which means the cost will increase due to added pages and cost of color printing. Cost for the new edition is yet to be determined, but it's expected that it will be similar in price to the 1958-1960 OFS for a printed version. For comparison, the 1958-1960 OFS currently is $99 for the print copy and is 350 pages in length.

Not explored yet is whether VTCI will make it available on CD-ROM or other form of digital media (at present we're not set up for digital downloading, so save your breath if this is what you're wanting right now).

If you have any suggestions or comments about what you'd like to see in the OFS or preferred method of media (print, CD-ROM, flash drive or ?), feel free to reply to this post with your comments. We'll use those comments to evaluate what interest there is in format delivery and explore our options from there. Thanks.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Scott6T6

Re: 64-66 OFS Revisions - Preliminary Notice of New Edition

Post by Scott6T6 »

I vote for a printed manual as before. I'm old school. The addition of color photos is great, and I would say necessary to properly illustrate so many features and details. This sounds like it's going to be a winner when finished. Glad to see it's finally coming to fruition.
A lot of revisions and additions are needed. I can provide quite a few myself! :smile:
Scott
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

Alan, Thanks for all your hard work! I am also old school. A printed version on my work bench does it for me especially for these vintage cars. I like using the same thing the old boys used back in the day. I can't wait until it becomes available!
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

I am also interested in a color printed edition. I like to leave some manuals in my 1966 at times I have taken the car to a shop for work.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

I'm happy to hear such a thing exists, and I'll be happy to order a copy. Color photos sound good.
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

I see in the latest scoop that the 64-66 OFS doesn't appear different yet. Is there any update on ETA. I was thinking of asking for this from Santa Claus this year.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

kevindeluca66 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:57 pm I see in the latest scoop that the 64-66 OFS doesn't appear different yet. Is there any update on ETA. I was thinking of asking for this from Santa Claus this year.
Something called LIFE and CAREER got in my way over the past few months. No ETA right now - am hoping I can get to finishing captioning the Interior section by the end of the month but no promises due to work commitments (I work full-time and do not have the luxury of being retired).
Alan H. Tast, AIA
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

Alan, I m sorry if I touched a nerve. I was just asking. I also work full time in the health care industry and have approximately 25 more years until retirement. I am also running around with 3 teenage sons playing a total of 5 different sports.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

How can I get an OFS catalog for a 66 hardtop? Is the revised version available yet? If not, I will take the current one. Thanks, Ed
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

We had hoped to have an interim release ready by now, but it's still in development. I'll need to see if the Country Store manager can arrange for copies of the last edition to be reprinted in order to tide people over until the interim revision is released. Right now I have no ETA for the interim version.
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

That would be great Alan. Thanks!
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Print is good, CD sounds interesting can run it off the laptop, while working on the Iron.
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

Working on the firewall. Can't find info as to wether or not the heater box screws were painted black or not. Please advise. Thanks, Ed
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Hi Ed,
I didn't respond to your recent firewall (blower motor) questions in your 'Engine bay questions" post because my car doesn't have A/C, so the blower motor on my car does not protrude out through the firewall like it did on cars like yours that were so equipped. I will attempt to answer your questions and also post some firewall photos, but it will be a couple of days before I can get to it as I'm going to be gone most of the weekend. I'm also going to ask my buddy who owns a low mile, unrestored Town Hardtop with A/C to take a close look at the screws around the blower motor on his firewall. I used to own this Town Hardtop and it's a very reliable source for original factory details. I'm pretty sure they were sprayed over with black sealer.
I'll respond to your inquiry in your "Engine bay questions" post as that seems more on topic. Probably be Monday before I can get back to you!
Scott
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

Thanks so much Scott. I received my original rebuilt heater motor today along with the seal. After painting the firewall semi gloss black, I installed it. Waiting on the cover plate gasket. Seems odd to me that the flared edges on the cover plate face out. I think if the flare faced the firewall with the gasket seal it would look better. Anyone watching Kissimme Mecum auction? I love it! No Tbird work tomorrow. Gotta get ready for band practice at 1pm. We have a big Valentine's Gala gig on 2/11 at the Otesaga Hotel and Resort Hotel in Cooperstown NY. Check it out on line. It's a great deal if you want to do something special for your significant other (besides your lady bird)!!