real leaf spring

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

sleeper bird

real leaf spring

Post by sleeper bird »

does anyone know the name or part number of the rear leaf spring shackle mount,its the u shaped part that connects the rear leaf spring shackle to the body with four bolts?i notice when on a flat surface from the ground to the middle of the shackle bolt one side is higher making the rear slightly lean(this is my belief)almost like the u shaped mount has either bent upwards or has lost some arch.cars a 66 didnt see a breakdown in the body manual.
sleeper bird

Re: real leaf spring

Post by sleeper bird »

correction three bolts to the body.
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

I believe that U shaped part is called the "rear hanger" or "rear spring hanger", at least it is on my '65. I'm not sure if it's the same setup on the '66, but it sounds like it is...and since you haven't had any other responses yet, that's at least a place to start. It's a very different part than the front hanger on the front of the leaf. Hopefully '66 owners will chime in.

Don't discount the leaf springs themselves being the possible cause for a difference in ride height on different sides of the car. I replaced my rear leaf springs within the last year. There was an obvious distortion in the original springs towards the back of each spring when under load on the car. The new springs didn't have that distortion when installed.

On my car, there was about 3/4" difference in ride height from one side to the other with the original rear leaf springs. With the new rear leaf springs installed the difference was reduced to about 1/4" or less. Good luck.
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

thanks for the reply,i did find one at the birds nest just to compare but they were not exactly sure what to call it as well.i did have the factory springs re arched and added a leaf to them. Maybe they are not exactly the same. Hoping to get her on a lift and pull a few Measurment's and see what's up.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

While we are listing things that can cause the rear end to sit slanted, do not discount the *front* suspension. My car sat crooked with brand new rear springs and the thing that fixed it was strut bushings in the front.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Yes, your rearched/refurbished springs are likely fine and not the source of the problem. Jtschug brings up a good point about front end issues affecting rear end stance...that's happened to me, too. And when measuring ride height, make sure the air pressure is the same in all tires...Sometimes it's easy to overlook simple things.