Powergen

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

tbirdtommy

Powergen

Post by tbirdtommy »

Has anyone installed the Powergen alternator conversion on their Bird? It's the one that looks like the generator but is actually an alternator. I am having troubles trying to figure out the wiring. Thanks for any help.
OldRusty1

Re: Powergen

Post by OldRusty1 »

I have installed this system on my '62 non A/C Convertible. PowerGen P/N 82158-2 and Charge Wire P/N 1-36-130. I ordered direct from PowerGen as the standard supplied pulley (shown below) is incorrect for this application. They had to supply a pulley with the groove spaced out by one belt width to match the original spacing. Non A/C cars use a single outer groove.
IMG_20160308_135639.jpg
IMG_20160308_140418.jpg
Wiring from the PowerMaster Gen:
Attach the Red Charge wire from the back of PowerGen (output) to the hot side of the starter relay.
Fabricate a short ground wire from the PowerGen ground terminal post to the engine block at the battery ground cable connection.
Attach the Yellow w/Black stripe wire to the Light Terminal post on the PowerGen.
Insulate and deadend any old remaining wires in the harness at the generator end that remain from the original generator installation.
Powermaster Connections.jpg
Powermaster to Starter Relay.jpg
Your Voltage Regulator will remain as a terminal board. Just remove the springs and associated contacts.
Voltage Regulator.jpg
Works for me like a charm for the last three years.
'62 Chestnut Convertible, White Top/Chestnut Interior
VTCI #12660
Past T-Birds:
'65HT, '66TL, '63SR, '78DJE

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits". Albert Einstein
tbirdtommy

Post by tbirdtommy »

Thanks for the help. I'll get on this sometime this week and let you know if I have any other questions.
OldRusty1

Post by OldRusty1 »

Almost forgot, I also had to install a shorter fan belt. Installed a NAPA Premium XL 25-7435.
Attachments
PowerGen FanBelt.jpg
VTCI #12660
Past T-Birds:

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits". Albert Einstein
ToniR

Post by ToniR »

@OldRusty1:
Did you order a special made pulley or is it the standard step pulley (number 1139) from the Powermaster catalog?
I am planning to get one for my non AC TBird.
OldRusty1

Post by OldRusty1 »

PowerMaster, at the time, did not have a step pulley for this application. I was the first installation requiring this and they custom made a pulley for me. It appears that they have now made this part a stock item. You should be able to order the PowerGen with the step pulley installed directly from PowerMaster.

Regards,
Old Rusty1
VTCI #12660
Past T-Birds:

ToniR

Post by ToniR »

Thank you for your reply!
I noticed that it says now in the description that the alternator is with the step pulley.
That is why I was a bit uncertain...
ToniR

Post by ToniR »

Powermaster alternator is already purchased, but the conversion is still on hold.
Before I start, few questions came up to OldRusty1:

- I noticed that you left the regulator "A" coil in place. Is it OK that way or can I take that coil out too?
- Did you use existing generator wire to connect the light terminal post and did you connect that via old regulator?

Otherwise I think I am good to go.

Thank you in advance.
Toni
OldRusty1

Post by OldRusty1 »

ToniR,
Connection at the PowerGen: Use the existing Yellow with Black Stripe generator wire and connect it to the Light Terminal Post on the PowerGen.
On the Regulator, it's OK to leave the "A" coil in place as I did.
No changes or adds to the wiring at the Voltage Regulator, just leave it as is.
PowerGen Wiring
PowerGen Wiring
Voltage Regulator
Voltage Regulator
6+ years of trouble free operation -
Plenty of power to operate the top and no more headlight flicker at night when stopped and in gear.
You should be fine with your installation.

Regards,
OldRusty1
VTCI #12660
Past T-Birds:

ToniR

Post by ToniR »

Thank you for your additional comments!
I am a bit cautious about all electrical work, especially with old cars.
Now everything is clear, thanks!
Mvs62bulletbird

Post by Mvs62bulletbird »

Old rusty and friends. Maybe I’m a bit confused on the topic but on the 62 Ford Thunderbird Rusty, it looks like it was just a plug in that you plugged in in and tightened in place connected to the wires and you were good to go.

Is that All I’m looking to do on the Thunderbird from what I can see it looks like it’s a 12 V generator that stepped down to 6 V for the dash lighting, etc. and as long as they put in the new 12 V alternator that looks like the 12v generator from power master it should just be take the old generator out snap the new alternator in the long one that fits on the existing mounting brackets and we’re good to go is that it is there any other surprise I need to be aware of or think about
Thank you for your quick response. It’s very appreciated Michael.!