Axle Shaft Compatibility

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

redthundervert64

Axle Shaft Compatibility

Post by redthundervert64 »

Does anyone know if 1965 rear axle shafts are compatible with the 1964 car? Thanks.
jtschug

Re: Axle Shaft Compatibility

Post by jtschug »

I think all 1964 and 1965 T-birds have 9" ring gears with 28 spline axles. This would make all axle shafts interchangeable. In 1966, Q code cars got rear axles with 9.375" ring gears and 31 spline axles which won't work on 64-65, but 1966 Z code 390 cars got the same axle shafts as 1964 and 1965.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
redthundervert64

Thanks - much appreciated!
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Pictures comparing a 28-spline and 31-spline axle end would be helpful for the '64-'66 OFS revisions. Would also be good to know if there are any external markings, paint daubs, stamped letters/numbers on the axle flange or other part of the axle or ? that help to ID application.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
redthundervert64

Hi Alan - I know there is a a part number stamped on the '64 axle flange. I'll send pictures and information when I do the change over, although it might not happen until next spring.
redthundervert64

Alan H. Tast wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:04 pm Pictures comparing a 28-spline and 31-spline axle end would be helpful for the '64-'66 OFS revisions. Would also be good to know if there are any external markings, paint daubs, stamped letters/numbers on the axle flange or other part of the axle or ? that help to ID application.
I managed to replace the axle shaft ahead of schedule and have attached some photos below. The number stamped on the original right rear axle shaft flange hub is C2SW5A (the "A" might be a 4). There appears to be an orange paint duab on the hub/flange weld, but I couldn't find any other identifying marks anywhere on the axle shaft. It's a 28-spline shaft. I found an old photo of the left side axle flange (not attached here) and the stamped number is harder to read but appears to be C2SW8A (again, the "A" might be a 4).

The replacement (used) axle shaft that I installed had a beat up flange hub and there appeared to be a stamped number there but it was unreadable. Again, I couldn't find any other identifying marks. I don't know what model year this shaft is from but the flange was marked with crayon by the supplier and the markings suggest that this shaft is compatible with '62 thru '65 Thunderbirds.

I replaced the shaft because I've been chasing a rear brake squeak ever since I got the car and I finally discovered that the brake drum (and the axle flange) had a slight wobble. Happy to report that replacing the shaft seems to have solved the problem!

I hope this info is useful.
Attachments
Right Rear Axle Flange (Original - '64 TBird)
Right Rear Axle Flange (Original - '64 TBird)
Right Rear Axle Shaft (Original - '64 TBird)
Right Rear Axle Shaft (Original - '64 TBird)
Right Rear Axle Shaft Spline End (28-Spline)
Right Rear Axle Shaft Spline End (28-Spline)
Right Rear Axle Shaft (Replacement - '64 TBird)
Right Rear Axle Shaft (Replacement - '64 TBird)
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

I just swapped out my differential in doing so the axles were pulled and the "tunnel" in which the axles go, were full of a tar like gunk, brought about by the gear grease worn out, they were cleaned out along with the differential, did you find the same in your axle tunnels?
redthundervert64

Just after I got the car the right rear seal started leaking (maybe because of the bent axle flange?) and I had a garage replace the seal. They reported that the differential gear oil was similar to yours - like tar. They cleaned and vacuumed out what they could, refilled it, and then I took the car back to them after a few hundred miles so that they could repeat the process. When I pulled the axle shaft to replace it the gear oil was fine.

It sounds like this could be a common problem.