64 tranny hump hole

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

bjed64

64 tranny hump hole

Post by bjed64 »

Just in the process of putting the 64 Landau dash/interior back in (been apart for about 5 years) and I came across an oval shaped hole on the tranny hump. It is close to where the firewall meets the tranny hump and is on the passenger side. If you look in the Body/Interior assembly manual it shows the hole (page 64). My car did not have a plug or anything passing thru it, it had seam sealer around the edge and then the carpet placed on top. I believe it to be the original carpet. Anyone know what this oval shaped hole is for? What plugs it if it isn't used. Can't find any reference to a part number to order from any Thunderbird suppliers. Picture of hole, Notice some black carpet still stuck around hole.
Tbird hole 2.jpg
stubbie

Re: 64 tranny hump hole

Post by stubbie »

Tranny inspection hole. Usually has a rubber plug in it.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

That hole is used to adjust the rear band in the transmission.
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
georgemii

Post by georgemii »

Yes, transmission inspection, and also necessary for adjustment of (transmission)intermediate band, when done with tranny in car. Procedure
(and reference to hole) are outlined in shop manual.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

What you could do is, scrape the crap from around it, put down some new sealer and drop a small metal plate over it.
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Agree with stubbie. If it is left open an amazing amount of heat will come through it. I'm pretty sure there is also one on the driver's side.
Terry
64HT
bjed64

Post by bjed64 »

Thanks everyone. Access to transmission makes a lot of sense.