64 brake Light Relay Question.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

hopp150

64 brake Light Relay Question.

Post by hopp150 »

My 64 is a March 64 Build. I have received mixed info over the years but I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me.

Do I need the brake light relay "recall" or is my car a late enough build that it came from the factory with it?
I do not have a relay behind the washer bag in the left front corner.
My amp meter jumps like crazy when I press the brake pedal.

If someone else with a late build 64 has the relay from the factory please let me know where it is.

Any help would be appreciated.
RedBird64

Re: 64 brake Light Relay Question.

Post by RedBird64 »

I dont know the cut off date (mines an early build) but I do know that people have found the relay all over the place. It seems mechanics (remember those?) placed them where ever it was convenient for them sometimes.
If the factory installed this service bulletin, I wonder where they mounted the relay?
BTW, the ammeter will dance quite a bit at astop regardless of having the relay or not - the lights still pull lots of current either way!
It's just with the relay the current isn't going through the switch on the master cylinder.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
tmjsong1aolcom

Post by tmjsong1aolcom »

As of this message We have not found a copy of the recall paperwork from Ford.

Have parted out and looked at many 64's covering the entire production. The brake relay being installed follows no set pattern as to if installed, except most were installed behind the washer bag. Have seen them in many places near or on the drivers side inner fender.

There was no design change for the brake system electrical from early to late models. There was a change in the turn signal switch that I think went from 7 to 8 wire. The brake circuit does run thru the turn signal switch under the steering wheel. This in and of itself can cause issues with working brake lights.

The recall was a kit sent to every dealer and the dealer was to install the relay per a recall from Ford. As most know many of the birds never had the relay installed. The current prevailing reason for the install of the relay was the brake light switch if engaged for a long period of time would get hot and start an engine fire.

These kits could have been bought from Ford parts vendors up to a few years ago complete and unopened. Unfortunately there were no instructions in the bag.

The relay used was the same one used for the convertible top. The only piece not avail would be the wiring harness supplied in the bag.

Occasionally on E... one sees the wiring harness but have not seen a complete kit in a long time.

As for needing the relay ect. Personally I do not think it is necessary, I have 64's with and without the relay system.

I did do an article for the Scoop many years ago and still have copies of the diagram I made. If wanted I still think I can find the paperwork and would be happy send via email.

Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
tmjsong1@aol.com
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

My car was a DD when I was a kid. At that time, before college, I knew just enough about electronics to be dangerous so when the relay for my brake lights died, I managed to figured out how I could work around it. During those years I went through so may brake light switches that I kept a spare in the glove box.
So take it from someone who has driven a 64 for nearly 4 decades; the switch will fail if it's used much. However, there's no issue with fire. The switch simply overheats inside and fails.

About 20 years ago I finally got serious about fixing up the old girl and realized what I had done. Haven't had a brake switch failure since installing the relay (which I still had so I rebuilt it).

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

And Scott, since I am in the same league as you, I can voice a comment on the switch. They do fail in a very serious way, when the bakelite inside body fractures and vents brake fluid thru the crack all over your engine and the pedal goes to the floor and NO BRAKES!!!!!!! Lucky for me it was a club outing and a slow drive, was able to get her to the shoulder of road missing the T-Bird ahead of me.
Remember vividly how we were able to by pass the leak, since no spare switch in hand or any brass plugs.
We removed a grease fitting from a tie rod end and threaded it in place of the switch. Yes it weeped brake fluid thru the check ball, but gave me brakes to limp to a garage, and get a plug, then carry on the drive tour with no tail lites.
IT WAS a fun day, also as did not need a tow truck.

I now carry a brass plug in the road repair kit in the car, as have heard that the repops are weak in construction and fail like my OEM one did.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
hopp150

Post by hopp150 »

Thanks for the update. This car was my daily driver from 92-95 and then has been a weekend warrior ever since. I have the kit so I think Ill go ahead and add it to be safe.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Whoo boy Wally, that was an adventure!
bobgroger

Post by bobgroger »

Really sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I have been trying to figure this out. I have the wiring manual, no mention. I Googled 64 tbird relay until I found one with the right pinout, and it was a 64 stop relay. This connector is under where the windshield washer bag goes. Is my mystery solved?

bobgroger

Post by bobgroger »

Also wondering if anyone has a diagram of the relay so I can use a $5 one instead of a $70 one.....
tmjsong1aolcom

Post by tmjsong1aolcom »

I wrote an article for the Scoop a long time ago. I think the wiring diagram that I created for the article was added to the VTCI website.

Let me know if not and will try and find my drawings.

Good Luck
Fuz
58's and 64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.