Need a 390

This area is for posting Thunderbirds and Thunderbird parts wanted. All other posts will be removed. No vendors please......they will be removed
GROOVYBIRD

Need a 390

Post by GROOVYBIRD »

My 66 bird needs a new engine. We tore the old one down and it's a 352--and not really a good, rebuildable core. I'm looking for a 390 engine/short block with a standard bore that I can fetch in driving distance: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, or Arkansas. (Shipping would be crazy expensive.) Can anyone help a bird out or point me in the right direction?
vince

Re: Need a 390

Post by vince »

Sorry don't have one. Some points I hope help. There are 1 or 2 FE engine forums. You can look them up and this spreads your search from just T-Birders. Also, you can check with VTCI business like Pat Wilson's. I bought a whole engine from him and it turned out great. He may sell short blocks but didn't check years ago. A thought about a vendor like Wilson's is they will pretty well know how good the engine/block is. They are in NJ, I am in MO. I did not find shipping to be that bad. Two more suggestions if shipping; have the block delivered to a business or tell the shipper you will pick up at the terminal. Pricing of a one time residence delivery is, I believe, priced with a lot of uncertainty built in.

Good luck with the search. Vince
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
stove

Post by stove »

How did you determine what you have to be a "352"?
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
TBirdMan951

Post by TBirdMan951 »

Are you still looking for a 390 engine ?
I have a 390 long block coming out of my 1966 Tbird.
Short block with cylinder heads, added Comp Cam kit- Cam, lifters, valve springs, timing set and Melling oil pump.
Engine runs good but uses some oil. Has about 62 K on engine and 2000 miles on Comp Cam and kit.
Removed to add 427 and AOD trans.
Engine is in Sarasota, Fl and will not ship.

Greg Williams
Tbirdman951@aol.com
262 853 6750