'57 rear top latch repair

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

ward 57

'57 rear top latch repair

Post by ward 57 »

One of the rear latches on my hardtop has a broken return spring. I found a set screw on the latch pin but it's frozen tight. I've been soaking it in PB Blaster and wondering if a heat gun would help?
I'm assuming the handle is attached to the stud with a roll pin. If I get the pin off I assume one would then unscrew the latch cover and bring it up and off in one piece with the handle. Any other ideas or may have to drill out the set screw ruining it and replace all the hardware
VTCI # 13223
Paul T. Amick

Re: '57 rear top latch repair

Post by Paul T. Amick »

Hi, It's been a while since I did mine (20 Years) but a little heat shouldn't hurt. But I did mine on a 56 and 57 they were 5/64 allen set screws. Good luck
ward 57

Re: '57 rear top latch repair

Post by ward 57 »

I finally got the latch off. CASCO's restoration shop suggested I use a #1 screwdriver bit hold then the hold the bit tightly in the screw head with a set of Chanel Lock pliers and turn the screw out with a 1/4" wrench. I also used a dab of screwdriver helper ( which is a kind of fine sand mixture ) to help keeping the bit from slipping.
Now I just have to drive out the roll pin out under the bottom of the handle to take the stud off. I believe the spring is under the handle between the handle & mounting plate.
Finally got the whole mechanism disassembled. The spring was not broken. The problem was that there is a small washer on the stud and the wear and tear on the fiberglass left so much play that the ears on the spring slipped out of the keeper hole in the base plate and it filled in with gunk and wouldn't seat. The hole in the handle was fine. The stud was trashed & stripped along with the bullet latch. I can now rebuild it with a thicker washer to take up the play to prevent the problem in the future.
I know it may be minor but I like to have things work as original even as age has left it's scars.
20220706_153443.jpg
VTCI # 13223