1963 wiper control cable

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

nuchucker100

1963 wiper control cable

Post by nuchucker100 »

Does anyone know where I can source a cable for the wiper control? At first, I was having issues with the gear that moves the cable (my gear was broken). I couldn't find the gear in any parts catalogs or online, so I ended up having to 3D model the gear and 3D print it, which worked like a charm once I got the measurements correct. Now, the gear on the knob does move the cable, but since my cable is old and worn out, it does not move the end that connects to the wiper motor. I even cleaned up and regreased the parts that move, and the cable still won't pull the end. For now, I've got a temporary fix with a universal choke cable.

I would take apart the case that holds the cable to the gear, but it is riveted, and I don't want to risk ruining the part without a backup in hand. Any help/advise would be appreciated, thanks in advance. Also, if someone sees this post and has a similar issue with the gear being broken, I can manufacture more gears.
- Moises G.

63 Thunderbird Hardtop
Ducksface

Re: 1963 wiper control cable

Post by Ducksface »

Please post the gear code for others in need.
I'm making a junkyard run on the 28th.
Post pics of what you want and I'll try to get it pulled if you don't get an nos answer here.
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... hp?t=19646
my build/rebuild/era-correct silly accessories/whine thread.
Member :duckie: :duckie: :duckie: #13109
nuchucker100

Post by nuchucker100 »

For anyone wondering, I was able to get my wiper motor control working with a universal application choke cable. I had to cut it to length and fiddle with it for an hour or so, but eventually I got it working. The knob is a plane plastic one, so it's definitely not the prettiest solution, but it works every time I need it. Good enough for a college student lacking time and funds! :lol:
- Moises G.

63 Thunderbird Hardtop
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day.
When you say you made the gear is it the rack or the pinion?
From memory I think the rack is swaged onto the inner part of the cable. How did you join the new cable?
I would be interested in a couple of the gears whether it be the rack or the pinion.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
nuchucker100

Post by nuchucker100 »

Hello Karl. I made the pinion gear. I didn't have much time to try and replicate the rack, also for me, the pinion was what was broken. I was able to put the new pinion gear on the knob, but the rubber on the cable was falling apart and the inner cable wouldn't pull. I was unable to find anywhere else where I could source another cable, so I ended up using a universal choke cable. One day, I plan to design a rack so I can eventually have the correct knob on my car. For now, I do just enough to keep my car running since its my daily driver lol.
- Moises G.

63 Thunderbird Hardtop
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

There's an old Internet saying: "This thread is worthless without pictures." As most people have never seen the wiper control switch/cable assembly, it would be most helpful if we could see what's being described above.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
nuchucker100

Post by nuchucker100 »

http://vintagethunderbirdclub.net/phpBB ... a91#p61059

Karl has some pretty good pictures of the assembly in the above post. I have attached the image that depicts the control shaft that has the pinion gear at the end of it. The rack is inside the housing of the assembly, and I am not currently home, so I cannot take mine apart to get pics of it. If I have time I will do so later. For anyone with access to a 3D printer, I can email you the 3D file, since the site will not let me attach the file here.
Attachments
This is the wiper gear that I 3D modeled
This is the wiper gear that I 3D modeled
This photo is from Karl's original post a while back
This photo is from Karl's original post a while back
- Moises G.

63 Thunderbird Hardtop