Delux Key Set

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

RegM 56 T-Bird

Delux Key Set

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

I recently bought a "deluxe key set" from an online TBird parts supplier. When I took them to a locksmith he looked at them at said "these are both the same so I can only match one of your 3 keys". I had him cut the one key which turned out to be the trunk key. I have 3 keys which came with the car, one fits the ignition, one fits the doors and the other fits the trunk. The keys that fit the doors and the one that fits the ignition are the same type of key in that if you look at the lengthwise grooves, on one side the groove is closer to the edge than the trunk key. I called the online supplier and they were adamant that they had sold hundreds of these sets and had no problems with them, this was even after we had an in-depth discussion and the fellow I was speaking with had compared them with a set of original type keys. I realize that someone must have changed either the ignition lock or both door locks. I have two questions: 1. Can someone confirm that the original ignition key also fit the doors and the trunk key was a separate key? 2. Has anyone else had any experience with purchasing these deluxe keys? If so I would be interested in comparing keys because I am quite certain that both key blanks should not be the same.
ward 57

Re: Delux Key Set

Post by ward 57 »

The ignition and door keys are the same. The trunk key should also fit the glove box. I had the same situation with three keys. The ignition lock cylinder is easy to remove and have it rekeyed to match the doors. The ignition probably at one point had been replaced and they always come with a new key. That's what happened to me. Took me years before I got around to rekeying the ignition but I'm now back down to two keys.
The reason for this is you could give the ignition key to a valet and they would have no access to the trunk or glove box.
VTCI # 13223
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

You are correct. The square key fits the doors and ignition. The round key fits the trunk. I think the round key fits the glove box as well, but I'm not certain. I had a problem with my glove box lock. I could turn the lock (possibly with both keys, can't remember), but pushing the button wouldn't open it. I ended up removing the lock, removed the pins, and re-installed it. I can now open the glove box; it will lock/unlock, but any key now works.

Considering my 55 has been in the family for 50 years, I was excited about the possibility of discovering "hidden treasure" once the glove box was opened. Unfortunately, all it contained were expired registration cards from the 80s.
RegM 56 T-Bird

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

Thanks for the info guys - you have confirmed what I thought was the case so it becomes quite apparent that the supplier was handing me a line of BS in saying they sold hundreds exactly the same as the ones they sold me with no problems. The keys are quite snazzy looking so I will follow up with another call Also, I will take out the ignition switch an have it keyed same as the door locks.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

This would make your life easier using only two keys instead of three.....
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

RegM 56 T-Bird wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:21 pm Thanks for the info guys - you have confirmed what I thought was the case so it becomes quite apparent that the supplier was handing me a line of BS in saying they sold hundreds exactly the same as the ones they sold me with no problems. The keys are quite snazzy looking so I will follow up with another call Also, I will take out the ignition switch an have it keyed same as the door locks.
Here are the instructions on how to remove the ign, switch cylinder switch and core. https://www.ctci.org/replacing-the-igni ... -cylinder/
VTCI # 13223
RegM 56 T-Bird

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

I talked to my locksmith and he advised me he can no longer get the pin sets which enable him to rekey the ignition. I contacted the parts supplier and spoke with the manager. He asked me to send them back and he will compare them with a set of original type keys. I think I just got a one off dud.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

RegM 56 T-Bird wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:18 pm I talked to my locksmith and he advised me he can no longer get the pin sets which enable him to rekey the ignition. I contacted the parts supplier and spoke with the manager. He asked me to send them back and he will compare them with a set of original type keys. I think I just got a one off dud.
Can no longer get the pins? I'd find another locksmith. There aren't that many different ones.
VTCI # 13223