baggin my 61

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

sacredsteel

baggin my 61

Post by sacredsteel »

Going with the 64-66 Ridetech shockwaves on the front and the air over leaf on the rear. Got the idea for the upper control arm brackets from a fella in the Netherlands, Alistair Davison who did his 62 a bunch of years back. I hope he still checks in on this forum because I would like to get his contact info so I can get some details on what he did for his exhaust. I kept 3 leafs in the rear and going to make a 1.5" lowering block and see howmit sits. I'll have to experiment with the rear to get it the way I want it. I'll post updates as I go along.
IMG_7866.JPG
IMG_7866.JPG
Attachments
IMG_7862.JPG
sacredsteel

Re: baggin my 61

Post by sacredsteel »

Doesn't seem like theres too much interest in this topic but heres the finished product. Anyone looking to bag theirs hit me up for some tips.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_302.jpeg
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

sacredsteel wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:23 pm Going with the 64-66 Ridetech shockwaves on the front and the air over leaf on the rear. Got the idea for the upper control arm brackets from a fella in the Netherlands, Alistair Davison who did his 62 a bunch of years back. I hope he still checks in on this forum because I would like to get his contact info so I can get some details on what he did for his exhaust. I kept 3 leafs in the rear and going to make a 1.5" lowering block and see howmit sits. I'll have to experiment with the rear to get it the way I want it. I'll post updates as I go along.

IMG_7866.JPG
IMG_7866.JPG
Alistair lives in New Zealand, he’s the editor of ‘Petrolhead’ magazine so if you Google Petrolhead you should be able to contact him.
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic
Papagary

Post by Papagary »

What did you use to mount the lower front arm to the shock bottom?
Could you send some pics showig your compressor, tank, valve , controller /gauge set up?
What did you do to reroute your exhaust, fuel and brake lines?
I want to do mine someday
sacredsteel

Post by sacredsteel »

I made a set of brackets for the shockwave. The shockwave is a combination airbag with a built in shock. If you look at the pics you'll see the brackets. I had to modify the exhaust because of the rear air bags. No mods to brake and fuel lines. The 5 gallon tank is mounted up under the rear package tray.
fullsizeoutput_33d.jpeg
LeonardK

Post by LeonardK »

sacredsteel wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:56 am Doesn't seem like theres too much interest in this topic but heres the finished product. Anyone looking to bag theirs hit me up for some tips.
Damn dude, this looks badass!
Billekid

Post by Billekid »

I am about to get started on this project myself. The tank, compressor, valves should be here today from ridetech. The bags came Tuesday. I am getting some body work done first, then I'm pulling the heads having them freshened up, putting the pro flo 4 on. I think when I pull the heads im going to start the air ride. How did you deal with the exhaust? I see a lot of people dump in front of the rear tire, I seen a video of a 64 having tailpipes coming out on either sides of the license plate too. Great looking ride man. Congrats
1964 thunderbird currently under major changes
LeonardK

Post by LeonardK »

Billekid wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:17 am I am about to get started on this project myself. The tank, compressor, valves should be here today from ridetech. The bags came Tuesday. I am getting some body work done first, then I'm pulling the heads having them freshened up, putting the pro flo 4 on. I think when I pull the heads im going to start the air ride. How did you deal with the exhaust? I see a lot of people dump in front of the rear tire, I seen a video of a 64 having tailpipes coming out on either sides of the license plate too. Great looking ride man. Congrats
I'd be very interested to hear how you like the pro flo 4 setup. Have you thought about creating a thread dedicated to that install and thoughts?
Billekid

Post by Billekid »

That's a great idea, right now I'm getting some body work done. When I get into the air ride and pro flo I'll grab some pictures and keep notes. I bought a holley sniper fuel pump to feed it. Going to use AN lines with ptfe, areomotive fuel pressure regulator. When I do get ready to put the pro flo on in going to send the heads out freshen them up, make sure the mating surfaces are true an all that fun.
LeonardK

Post by LeonardK »

I have a 62 that I want to do the exact same things to lol, but I'm at least 6mo or more away from beginning that process. I look forward to following your progress.
Billekid

Post by Billekid »

Can't wait to get into it. I had some extra cash laying around from when my truck was totalled so my wife encouraged me to put it into the bird
myird

Post by myird »

Very cool. Was it really hard to do, I have a 61 id like bag. I modified mine real good, Cut the roof off it and made a convertable. I have a real roadster but like my 61 better. Looks awesum man.
sacredsteel

Post by sacredsteel »

Wasn't hard to do at all. The hardest part was making the brackets for the upper control arms but even that wasn't a big deal. The air ride is awesome, feels much better than coil springs. If you go this route, buy the shockwaves and air over leaf kits for the 64-66.
NigelFarage

Post by NigelFarage »

sacredsteel wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:56 am Doesn't seem like theres too much interest in this topic but heres the finished product. Anyone looking to bag theirs hit me up for some tips.
I'll be doing the same shortly, but looking to investigate 4-link for the rear. I recently had a 60 Continental coupe with air over leaf, and I wasn't super thrilled with the spring deflection when all the way down.

Did you have to change the upper front arms? what was the modification required? Change from stud mount to Eyelet?
sacredsteel

Post by sacredsteel »

I'm looking at doing the 4 link as well and Ridetech has a kit for the 60-64 Galaxie that I read on another forum that will work well with some mods.
Not too worried about the spring deflection because I kept the rear bump stops and it only goes down as far as those allow.
The control arms are the original ones with no permanent mods but I had to fab those brackets for the shockwaves.