Grinding from front right

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Thugpug

Grinding from front right

Post by Thugpug »

So I have been dealing with a harsh grinding from my front right tire area. I have taken it apart many times, replaced inner and outer wheel bearing, regreased the bearings and cleaned and regreased the wheel spindle. Replaced the brakes and rotors, checked for rubbing from the brake shield and no signs of rubbing anywhere, replaced the caliper. I notice when i reinstall the brake pads and put the caliper back on, it becomes much harder to turn the rotor but not two hands to turn hard but takes a little muscle. I am genuinely at a loss as to why I still have this scraping going on still. I noticed the spindle has some light scratches that I can feel at where the inner bearing sits, but nothing I think is concerning. I put everything on besides the caliper and nothing seems out of place, but reinstall the caliper and the rotor becomes hard to turn. I really need some assistance on this
Rusty57

Re: Grinding from front right

Post by Rusty57 »

Have you done any other work on the brakes lately? When you replaced the pads and rotors did you replace or rebuild the caliper?

Does the caliper slide easily on the guide pins?

How often do you flush the brake fluid?

How easy is it to make the piston retract into the caliper?

My thinking is that the caliper is not releasing enough for the pads to move away from the rotor. This often happens when you install new pads. The piston and its seal are pushed back over the crud lying in the bottom of the bore in the caliper. That crud could cut the seals. At a minimum it creates drag on the piston..
Rusty
VTCI 13079