Magnetizing screw drivers

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

ward 57

Magnetizing screw drivers

Post by ward 57 »

How many people have done this? Lost a screw behind the dash re-installing my speedo. Had to use only one hand to set the screw and it flipped off and disappeared. I have a ratchet head Snap-On screw driver with changeable tips that is magnetized and works holding the screw until I can get it to set. But the shaft was too long to fit. I need to magnetize my others as it is a frustration saver.
VTCI # 13223
Rusty57

Re: Magnetizing screw drivers

Post by Rusty57 »

Let physics work for you.

I remove the cylindrical magnet from my regular pick-up tool. Then tape it along the shank of the screwdriver. The whole shank is now a fairly strong magnet.

The downside is that there will be some residual magnetism in the shank after you remove the magnet. That can be a real PITA if you do not want the screwdriver to pull a screw out of a hole.

There are techniques to remove that residual magnetism. Just Google “degauss screwdriver”. Lots of techniques about how to magnetize/demagnetize screwdrivers.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Thanks for the tip Rusty 57, been there done that, Wasted more time trying to find the screw/ nut.....
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
289ace

Post by 289ace »

I use one of these. While the link is to Amazon, they are available at Home Depot and local hardware stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Demagn ... NrPXRydWU=
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Forget the magnetism in a crowded space. You can put a very small drop of super glue on whatever screwdriver is easiest to use and press the screw on it. The screw stays straight on the way into the tight spot and doesn’t stick to any metal surface you may contact like a magnetic tip does. Once the screw is snug the driver comes right off. This amount of glue does not hurt the screwdriver tip.
Last edited by MarkR on Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

I agree that those magnetizers and super glue are great solutions for holding a screw on the end of a screwdriver.

The difference is that my approach makes any long ferrous (steel or iron) item a pickup tool. Obviously the closer to the end you attach the magnet the stronger it is.

I last used this approach a couple of months ago when I was helping a friend on is ‘29 Model A. We were working on the distributor. He was reinstalling a screw and it dropped down behind the carburetor. We could see it but there was no way to reach it. He has a pickup tool but it is the design with a telescoping rod and a flat disc about 3/4” in diameter on the end. So I grabbed a longer Phillips screwdriver and held the magnetic disc on the shank near the handle. I stuck the tip down to where the screw was and quickly retrieved it. It takes a lot more magnetic force to lift a screw than it does to retain in on the end of the screwdriver.

Like ICON 1956, I have spent more than enough time searching for and retrieving dropped hardware. If I could deduct that time from my age I bet I would be 5 years younger!

One other trick I adopted about 10 years ago is to always work over cardboard. There are lots of other advantages (keeps the floor cleaner, easier to slide around on, and insulates from the cold). What I also learned is that it is a lot easier to hear if the piece has dropped through to the floor. That has saved lots of time. Another point I learned is that the cardboard tends to absorb some of the energy when the piece drops so it does not bounce as far. The last bonus is that it is easier to spot a small metal part lying on cardboard rather than a concrete floor. Searching for a 10-32 nut especially on an epoxied floor with color speckles is a no-win game!
Rusty
VTCI 13079
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

My father repaired pinball machines as a sideline back in the 50s, and had a complete tool-set of screwdrivers with little sliding screw holders on the shafts. I have NEVER seen another since. Go figure.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I just did a quick search and Kline and Greenlee both have fastener retaining screwdrivers but didn't look close enough to see if the have short shank drivers for use were you don't have enough room for a standard length shaft. A 1" length would be great for under dash work. but maybe you need the length for the mechanism to work. The other methods are something I will try.
VTCI # 13223
swatson999

Post by swatson999 »

DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

swatson999 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:25 pm You mean like this?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... einsd2.php

Completely different mechanism. Maybe designed to grab/retract screws from handle operation?