Trunk lid rust

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

acebooncoon

Trunk lid rust

Post by acebooncoon »

Hello,
The trunk lid on my 56 is rusted at the bottom edge below the fuel door from one edge to the other. It has been repaired once several years ago before I obtained the car. I noticed that at the top of the lid on the passenger side corner area on the bottom side there appears to be a hole that was made from the factory. On the right side I could not find one. It could have been filled up though. On the Bottom side of the trunk lid at the rear on each corner there is what appears to be two circular cut holes. They have both been semi filled in with spot putty. Was this some type of water drain system? To me it looks like water came through the top hole between the two pieces of sheet metal got stuck and couldn't drain and caused the rust. I have looked for repair panels and have not found any. I have already started to repair the driver side corner. I am just curious about the purpose of these holes. There was no weather stripping on the trunk lid when I got it. I have ordered some. Thanks for any help.
ICON 1956

Re: Trunk lid rust

Post by ICON 1956 »

I just redid my trunk lid, I removed the surface rust behind the sound deadener . Primed I added a textured ABS material that feels like the old deadener material. Are your noticing the open holes on the frame inside the trunk lid?
Attachments
Completed project with new trunk liner installed
Completed project with new trunk liner installed
Matching Sage Green paint adds the finial touch
Matching Sage Green paint adds the finial touch
After priming adding textured ABS sheet. Notice the large hole on the middle spine of the tunk,also a smaller hole on the lower left corner. These are stamped by the Budd Co stamping manufacturer.
After priming adding textured ABS sheet. Notice the large hole on the middle spine of the tunk,also a smaller hole on the lower left corner. These are stamped by the Budd Co stamping manufacturer.
Sound Deadener flaking from the trunk lid
Sound Deadener flaking from the trunk lid
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309