New Member and '62 Bird owner

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

raylinds

New Member and '62 Bird owner

Post by raylinds »

I just closed a deal on a '62 convertible today and couldn't be more excited. I have loved classic cars all of my life and at 64 decided I shouldn't wait any longer. I was certain that I was going to get a '57 but when I saw a red '62 convertible I really fell in love. Something about the space age rocket design really resonated with me (I grew up in the 60s dreaming of being an astronaut).

This particular car has roadster badges and tonneau, but was not being passed off as a real sport roadster. I don't care if it's real the tonneau looks great.

The power top is not working and I found this place while researching the repairs. I have learned a lot here and have ordered pretty much every manual available for the car.

The car is it good shape with relatively new paint, upholstery and top, but I have already ordered some items from Parry's to spruce it up. The filler door is missing and the passenger mirror needs to be replaced and I also am replacing some pitted emblems, along with the front center bumper guard. Thank goodness replacements are available for not a ton of money.

It already has an Edelbrock manifold and Holley carb and I am thinking of doing a little more to bump up the HP, including a performance exhaust system. That would probably warrant converting to disk brakes for safety and some handling upgrades.

I just wanted to introduce myself and express thanks for all the good information I've already gleaned from the forum. It's great to be able to share a passion with like minded folks.

Happy Thanksgiving! :multi:
kbuhagiar

Re: New Member and '62 Bird owner

Post by kbuhagiar »

Welcome aboard!

I've had my 62 Convertible for a couple of years now, it is also a wannabe Roadster (with tonneau and badging).

Do not be intimidated by the power top. Mine also needed some 'tweaking' when I got it, but if you have any mechanical aptitude whatsoever (and the correct documentation) you should be able to figure it out. There are a lot of resources here on the VTCI forum, and lots of expert guidance, but I have found that I can answer about 80% of my questions with the Factory Service Manuals or on the Web.

My Bird came with aftermarket front disk brakes and dual exhausts and I can highly recommend either of these upgrades.

I guarantee that you will be the only Bulletbird at any show & shine, and the power top operation will always attract attention.
Just curious, is the top completely dead? Nothing happens when you actuate the switch? If so, that may be a simple fix.

Good luck!
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Welcome to the forum,Stick around and show some pictures of your beauty. You did right in buying the manuals and what ever literature you found for your car. Get to know her in any why you can. Working on your car will also educate you even further.
Ask away we have great peeps here. Enjoy your new toy.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Ducksface

Post by Ducksface »

Post a picture of your door plate.
We'll decode for you.
Does it have Kelsey wheels?

The hotrodding will not prove too fruitful.
Tbirds are not quick even at 450hp.
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... hp?t=19646
my build/rebuild/era-correct silly accessories/whine thread.
Member :duckie: :duckie: :duckie: #13109
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Here's a picture of the Kelsey 48 spoke Hayes rims, With out the tires look inside to see this stamped inside the K-H.
Attachments
Kelsy Haines Spoke Wheels 2.jpg
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
raylinds

Post by raylinds »

kbuhagiar wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:57 pm Welcome aboard!

I've had my 62 Convertible for a couple of years now, it is also a wannabe Roadster (with tonneau and badging).

Do not be intimidated by the power top. Mine also needed some 'tweaking' when I got it, but if you have any mechanical aptitude whatsoever (and the correct documentation) you should be able to figure it out. There are a lot of resources here on the VTCI forum, and lots of expert guidance, but I have found that I can answer about 80% of my questions with the Factory Service Manuals or on the Web.

My Bird came with aftermarket front disk brakes and dual exhausts and I can highly recommend either of these upgrades.

I guarantee that you will be the only Bulletbird at any show & shine, and the power top operation will always attract attention.
Just curious, is the top completely dead? Nothing happens when you actuate the switch? If so, that may be a simple fix.

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply. I won't get the car until next week- it's being shipped from Arizona. I hired someone to inspect it and send me detailed photos, including the underside on a lift. Since the seller told me the top did not work I didn't have him check it out, so I don't know what happens when the button is activated.
raylinds

Post by raylinds »

Ducksface wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:05 am Post a picture of your door plate.
We'll decode for you.
Does it have Kelsey wheels?

The hotrodding will not prove too fruitful.
Tbirds are not quick even at 450hp.
It does not have Kelsey wheels- it has cheap looking wire wheels that have to go. I am undecided whether I want to go for the spoked wheel look or the vintage looking mag hot rod look. I probably will go for the wire wheels, though- just a classic, elegant look. I am considering True Spoke wheels- does anyone have any experience with those?

I think you have a good point there about hot rodding. It would probably be a waste of money on a car so heavy and waste gas. Maybe just go with a performance exhaust to sound cool.

I think it would make sense to spend some time driving as-is before making a decision. Thanks for your reply and good advice.
raylinds

Post by raylinds »

ICON 1956 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:18 am Here's a picture of the Kelsey 48 spoke Hayes rims, With out the tires look inside to see this stamped inside the K-H.
Those a gorgeous!
raylinds

Post by raylinds »

Happy Thanksgiving!
Ducksface

Post by Ducksface »

You know what wheels would look great on that car?
Old style solid centerlines.
https://www.ffcars.com/threads/anybody- ... eels.9993/
With tbird knockoff center from 63 deluxe hubcaps.

Buy this TODAY
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273719005437
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Welcome, that’s a good looking car. I’ll throw my hat in the
Ring. First make sure the hydraulics on the brakes and the e brake are tip top. That’s a single system. I would check this first , it’s a safety issue that can bite you.
I’m sure you want/need to drive the car and get to know her. Upgrades can come as you go along. I saw one just like it with Wires and was a sportster look alike.
Gorgeous with the wires. I run the original top system in
My 63. I like it better than the new style upgrade in my 64.
So my advice is , post what you find on the top and I’m sure
Everyone and myself will try to help. I’m not an expert, just an old mechanic. Get a sound bar for your phone.
Turn on some music and go have fun.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
raylinds

Post by raylinds »

Ducksface wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:52 pm You know what wheels would look great on that car?
Old style solid centerlines.
https://www.ffcars.com/threads/anybody- ... eels.9993/
With tbird knockoff center from 63 deluxe hubcaps.

Buy this TODAY
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273719005437
I like the centerlines and just bought the switch. Thanks!
raylinds

Post by raylinds »

Cliff Rankin wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:18 pm Welcome, that’s a good looking car. I’ll throw my hat in the
Ring. First make sure the hydraulics on the brakes and the e brake are tip top. That’s a single system. I would check this first , it’s a safety issue that can bite you.
I’m sure you want/need to drive the car and get to know her. Upgrades can come as you go along. I saw one just like it with Wires and was a sportster look alike.
Gorgeous with the wires. I run the original top system in
My 63. I like it better than the new style upgrade in my 64.
So my advice is , post what you find on the top and I’m sure
Everyone and myself will try to help. I’m not an expert, just an old mechanic. Get a sound bar for your phone.
Turn on some music and go have fun.
Cliff
Good advice- thanks. I have maintenance documentation from it for like the past 20 years. It got a complete brake system overhaul including master cylinder about 5 years ago.
Ducksface

Post by Ducksface »

Has the car been delivered?
raylinds

Post by raylinds »

Ducksface wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:34 pm Has the car been delivered?
The pickup got delayed a few days, but it's on its way. It will likely be here Wednesday or Thursday. I saw your thread on the '63- beautiful car and a great buy!

Ray