Air Cooled Trans vs Liquid Cooled

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

GregL

Air Cooled Trans vs Liquid Cooled

Post by GregL »

I have found an automatic transmission from a 1955 T-bird that I'm hoping to put in my '57. I'm not a stickler for originality so this will work for me.
Other than the cooling set up, are there any other issues I should be concerned with? Are the physical dimensions the same as a '57 Ford-O-Matic re: trans mount, etc?
Appreciate any and all help.
Cheers, Greg
ICON 1956

Re: Air Cooled Trans vs Liquid Cooled

Post by ICON 1956 »

What was the size of of the motor from the 55 was it a 292. your going to mate up with your 312 engine right.What about the gear ratio from the 55 tranny, I'm not an expert in transmission's you need to investigate further.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

The final gear ratio in high (3rd) gear is 1 to 1 in both transmissions. Maybe slight differences in 1st and 2nd gears. I thunk the water cooled transmissions are the better of the two and recommend you repair yours or get a late 56 or 57 trans.
ICON 1956 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:29 pm What was the size of of the motor from the 55 was it a 292. your going to mate up with your 312 engine right.What about the gear ratio from the 55 tranny, I'm not an expert in transmission's you need to investigate further.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
GregL

Post by GregL »

Problem is, I don't have a core to rebuild.
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

EDIT .... Mistook this as a mention of fuel pump core. So removing post . (Last research found hills resto seemed to have some for purchase. If you do please let us know your experience! It's on radar to find a solid source.)
Last edited by klogsdonjr on Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Considering the difficulty in removing/installing a 55-57 Tbird transmission, I wouldn't install ANY transmission in an unknown condition. Either the engine has to come out, or the transmission has to be removed/installed in pieces. I don't recommend the latter. At the very least, I would have the transmission thoroughly checked out before installing it. You might be wise to purchase a transmission from a licensed shop, and let them install it. If there's a problem, you won't be paying twice.

The 55-56 transmissions use a 90-degree speedometer-gear drive. The 57 transmission does not. The cables and speedometer driven gears are also different. 55s also have a bolt-on rear cross-member, whereas it's welded in place on later cars.

If originality is not important, there are better transmissions to consider-FMX, C4, etc. A built C4 transmission will be replacing my 55 air-cooled Fordomatic. An AOD transmission will also work, but like the C4, will require an adapter. The AOD also requires notching the frame for clearance.

The best advice I can give is DO IT RIGHT ONCE!