bulkhead connecter

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

larry tappen

bulkhead connecter

Post by larry tappen »

Hey fellow bird lovers my 64 bird bulkhead connecter on the right (passenger side) was melted and the previous owner removed and spliced the wires together with solder and shrink wrap. Looks to be ok (maybe) but the heaviest wire is wire nutted together with a household wire nut. Planely not right. What I'm wondering is, could all these wires be spliced to a rubber type trailer plug that has the same amount of male and female inserts? Thanks, Larry.
paulr

Re: bulkhead connecter

Post by paulr »

I'm gonna guess the wire you mention is black with a yellow line; that's the alternator wire. It carries full voltage through the charging circuit so however you want to connect up at the firewall, just make sure it's a clean, solid, insulated connection. Wire nuts wouldn't be my choice; proper gauge Ford-type bullet connectors are made. Solder them in and then you can check and clean them as necessary. That wire, by the way, is the guilty party for the connector meltdown you talked about. It's not uncommon. Something for you to inspect periodically if you're running a '64 stock system.

As for all the other accessory wires, connect however. One function of the factory bulkhead plugs was a cabin seal from engine bay fumes/grease/moisture/sound/etc. Probably want to figure in grommets, silicone, or something.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
larry tappen

Post by larry tappen »

Paul, thanks for the reply. The wire I was talking about was the black/with yellow stripe. I am aware of the fire hazard by reading others on this forum. Now to find large enough bullet plugs for this wire. Thanks again, Larry.
larry tappen

Post by larry tappen »

Paul, I was wondering why Ford didn't have a "recall" about this hazard? When I worked at Wixom in 1966/67 I didn't hear of any recalls as I worked as a receiving inspector in the quality control area of the plant riding a bike around the plant checking parts to blueprints, great job by the way. Thanks again, Paul, Larry.
paulr

Post by paulr »

That kinda detail about company recall literature is stuff I know little about but find interesting. If Wally or Fuz catch this thread, those are the guys who are up on that stuff. Or Alan Tast or Jim Mills maybe.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

paulr wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:57 pm That kinda detail about company recall literature is stuff I know little about but find interesting. If Wally or Fuz catch this thread, those are the guys who are up on that stuff. Or Alan Tast or Jim Mills maybe.
We had a feature article on the '64's electrical issues in the Club's "Thunderbird Scoop" magazine last year, complete with references to Technical Service Bulletins and photos showing how the wiring melted, along with schematics. Another reason for people to join and maintain their paid membership in VTCI.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster